Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

When You Crack Out An NNC Slab And Send It To PCGS...

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7922 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  11:37 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not my coin or photo, but I found this on eBay tonight and once I got done both laughing at and feeling very sorry for someone at the same time I thought I'd share it. Painful lesson learned financially by the buyer :(

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
7675 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Education can be expensive...hopefully the lesson was worth the $$$.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Pillar of the Community
United States
1474 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, at least it wasn't detailed...
Pillar of the Community
United States
7031 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
....and at least it was MS
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3463 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  02:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Link to the listing? If not, did the seller express any frustration with the crossover or was the old NNC label used as a prop to try to convince buyers that the coin is now a real value in it's new under-graded holder?
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9490 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  04:03 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, which grade is closer to "accurate?"
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
01/12/2019 04:03 am
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaxenro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a good lesson in learning to grade yourself.

I don't know if I can explain this correctly but I will only pay the lower of the two, the slab grade or my grade. In other words if it is graded on the holder as a 63 and I think it's a 61 I will only pay 61 prices. But if it is graded as a 63 and I think it's a 65 I will only pay 63 prices. Yes it might be undergraded but I'm not risking my money against a consensus opinion. Conversely I won't pay more than I think the coin graded out at

Learn More...
United States
19794 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  07:47 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

"beautiful glowing Morgan. Certified at MS62 by PCGS. was taken fron a NMC [sic] holder, cert 1088420. they graded it MS-65PL, you be the judge by pix. PCGS says this would add about 4 times the value. low starting price. good luck bidding!! as always, multiple coins combine shipping."
Pillar of the Community
United States
3981 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NNC is an SSS (Shameless Self Slabber)
You can be sure the PCGS is a LOT closer to the truth.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1344 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peter1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Centsles?

Self slabbing coins caveat emptor.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11875 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, which grade is closer to "accurate?"

The first tier professional organizations with a world wide operation.

The other label it to get people thinking PCGS severely undergraded it
Pillar of the Community
United States
8668 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, whoever submitted the coin to PCGS was lucky it didn't turn out AU details cleaned!

I would never trust the grade on a NNC holder, imho. Looks like PCGS got the grade correct, sure doesn't look like a 65PL from those pics.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Edited by SilverDollar2017
01/12/2019 11:23 am
Learn More...
United States
19794 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  11:22 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Centsles?

No, I posted a link to the auction a few posts back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
608 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the PCGS app on my phone. When I scan it, says invalid. I put in the number manually, it says invalid. IF that is so, that's a fake slab. Am I (PCGS app) right or wrong?
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Pillar of the Community
United States
608 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just checked it on my computer, it comes back as:
We're sorry, that Cert Number was not found. Please double check the number and try again. To speak with PCGS Customer Service, call us at 1-800-447-8848.
https://www.PCGS.com/cert
Judge it for yourself.
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/36476813

PCGS # 7118
Date, mintmark 1880-S
Denomination $1
Country The United States of America
Grade MS62
Mintage 8,900,000
Holder Type Standard
Population 5,985
Pop Higher 150,927
PCGS Price Guide Value: $58
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Edited by Alpha2814
01/12/2019 12:39 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05