Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1977 P Jefferson Nickel DDR, Need Opinions Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,181Next Topic  
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  5:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NocturnalJay to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this nickel in pocket change. CONECA shows no 1977 Jefferson nickels with DDR. I see multiple areas of doubling on E PLURIBUS UNUM, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, FIVE CENTS, and the right side of building. Thank you for taking the time to look, thoughts and comments welcome. I also have other pictures if needed.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5549 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct about seeing doubling, but it is not a Doubled die, it is a classic example of a Late Die State MD ( Machine Doubling) and DDD Die Deterioration Doubling. Good eye.
Edited by Chase007
01/14/2019 5:10 pm
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NocturnalJay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about the separation of the lower lettering of UNITED STATES, particularly the Ts and the A? Are these still DDD? Also, is the erratic lines on top of the letters a give away of DDD?
Edited by NocturnalJay
01/14/2019 5:34 pm
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NocturnalJay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another question. Do die deteriorate and a universal rate? The reason I ask is because the right side of the building. Some areas show doubling and other show the standard design. This is why I originally thought this coin was more than MD.
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a Doubled Die. Your coin shows Machine Doubling. The devices are reduced in size.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37799 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NocturnalJay,
There are many types of doubling,some have a value and some not so much. Here is a link you should read and then bookmark
http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/...Doubling.htm
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NocturnalJay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just wanted to say thank you for the responses and John1 thank you for the link. That was an amazing article and it explains a lot.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37799 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
John1 thank you for the link

You are very welcome. Make sure to click on the photos in that link for larger pics.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,181Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 5.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05