Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Massachusetts Half Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 878Next Topic  

United States
37 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2019  1:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Moose11872 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Was there a 1789 ever produced? I know production ceased in late January of 1789 but mine looks like its dated 1789. I will post pictures after work....thanks!
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2019  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, no 1789 dated coins were made. It is possible yours has some damage on the date making it look like 1789. Looking forward to the pictures.
Edited by lcutler
01/23/2019 4:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2115 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2019  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16684 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once the Constitution was ratified in March 1789 the states could no longer issue coins. The states I'm sure realized it was going to pass so there was little point in producing 1789 coinage. They most likely used up whatever planchets they had on hand using 1788 dies and then shut down.
Gary Schmidt
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2019  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moose11872 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the pics. I was looking at it through a flip before.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2063 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2019  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a cast copy. Sorry if you thought it was genuine.
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2019  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moose11872 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is a cast copy. Sorry if you thought it was genuine.

How do I tell its cast? I have no experience with these coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
785 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2019  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you can buy that coin from coinsofourpast website for $2. There's many tells on the fakes...feathers....just look at the sleeve of the man....on yours the arm sleeve is the same size of the arm...like a stick. The fakes have those. The sleeve doesn't bulge out on yours. The details are not there. The legs on yours are like sticks the same size.
Edited by DoctorBurnzy
01/23/2019 10:44 pm
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  03:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moose11872 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info guys. I can definitely see the difference.
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  05:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None of the lettering or devices are crisp, everything is kind of "mushy". There is also the grainy appearance of a cast copy. No doubt about this one, sorry.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 878Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05