Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1916 FSB Mercury Dime DDO Error? Very Prominent. Rare? Comments? Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  02:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings. First of all...New to all things coin, and don't profess to know much about these error subjects. However, been getting there and doing as much homework as possible.

I am attaching photos of the subject 1916 Mercury dime I am happy to possess, with obvious weird strike (or as I just learned from John1...Machine Doubling) around the front face of coin. Particularly the Date. And then Weinman initials, LIBERTY letters, and maybe head, but soiling may be covering up some. But great shape considering, with FSB's.

Recent 1919 Mercury made Coin World headlines for DDO (I think that was it) on 'In God We Trust (IGWT).' A first. Why not this one? Seemed like they found the Holy Grail with the coverage I saw. lol. Lastly, I do see it on this coin as well for IGWT, but only slightly. Soil partially blocking. Threw a pic of IGWT for good measure. Apologies on some marginal pics. But I'm starting to like this coin stuff.

Anyway, any comments welcome. Will be getting professional grading soon.

UPDATE: I added a picture of the 1919 Mercury dime that was rated by CONECS as a true Doubled Die a few years ago. The Pic shows only the "In God We Trust", which was the only part of coin designated as DDO. It is the last picture. If you compare the IGWT with the Date on my coin, it seems like amazing similarities. But we will find out.

Also a comment by T-BOP noted it looked 'cleaned'. This is how I received it, but not smart enough to have known that, and will be a hit on grading, but no worries. Still a cool coin.

And.....will post once I get results for grading as requested by some. Thanks.

Edited by BuyGuns
01/24/2019 6:44 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29006 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. That is what we call Machine Doubling as opposed to hub doubling. It does look like a FSB but I do not know if it is real or not. If yon send it in, use NGC or PCGS or even ANACS.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  04:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John. I was just about to update my rant to include maybe not Double Die at all, or called something else. Machine Doubling. I just learned a new one. Appreciate the heads up. And yes....One of the three Pro Graders will be used. Thanks again. Dan
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29006 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please let us know the outcome.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12724 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is pretty dramatic for MD. Thanks for posting and, like @john1, I look forward to hearing what the TPG says.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11431 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A poster coin for MD but unfortunately it's a cleaned coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey T-BOP. Good point. You could shove this coin in my eye socket for a closer look, and I still would not have known that. lol But now that you mentioned it, it does look like someone tried to clean it, and residual spots remained. But it is what it is. If it's a true Doubled Die (which I am sure it's MD as others noted), then it's still a big deal. Probably too good to be true. But a good time to let the experts take a look and declare the facts. Will still be a nice conversation piece. Definitely have not seen that many anomolies on one coin, let alone a 1916 Mercury. Must be others out there, or long gone. Anyway...I will let all know when I get this grading complete.

I posted the 1919 Mercury picture (last one) of the IGWT declared Double Die by CONECS. Just some odd similarities as opposed to other MD coin pics I have seen. But again, we will find out. Thanks for the input.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40379 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck and let us know! And in the future, try not to keep revising your original thread to reflect your latest thoughts - this just confuses the narrative. Just post your replies in sequence.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
01/24/2019 7:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it. Thx Frog.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2514 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2019  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a DDO, see how flat your letters are compared to the 1919
Edited by TreasHunt
02/14/2019 07:31 am
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UPDATE to all who posted. Apologies for the long delay in TPG submission. It is going to happen and I will post results as promised. Nothing expected other than Slabbed, Cleaned, MD noted, Details, and.....any mystery finds the Pros may find and note as well. You just never know. Other than that, it will be a nice slabbed conversation piece of history.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29006 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make sure to send to PCGS-NGC or ANACS only. I will be
John1
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18425 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too would love to hear the outcome.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  03:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Roger that. Going to NGC with the rest of my hoard. Will report back once complete.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  04:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also just had an additional thought, being I delayed some months and got a fraction of a percent coin smarter, that since this hard luck Mercury may have had a clean attempt in the past 103 years...why not send to NCS (conservation) first, let them determine if a proper cleaning could restore to gradable condition, and then let the TPG folks have a coin that all MD, or any other condition, can be clearly seen for grading purposes. Can't hurt. If NCS thinks it's not a candidate, they simply transfer to NGC who will do a standard grading anyway as is. Be it CLEANED / DETAILS / MD galore / "Body Bag it Joe", or whatever. I have a few coins going to conservation prior to NGC, so one more won't hurt. Glad you guys thought of that. Thx.

(I can hear it now....."No. That is YOUR dumb idea newb. Not ours").
Edited by BuyGuns
09/09/2019 04:31 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05