Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Am I Dumb, Or Are Red-brown Large Cents Rather Scarce?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
315 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2019  9:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

As part of my growing type set I have acquired an 1897 red-brown Indian Head and an 1864 Large Motto Two Cent Piece.also red-brown. When I found each of these coins, I felt like I would never find another like it. I have become quite taken by red-brown small cents and the way each seems to have its own unique appearance.
So I would like to find a red-brown large cent. But unless there was a seasonal run on them for the holidays, they don't seem to be the easiest things to locate. I looked on EBay and found about a half dozen in ms-64, but only two were under a thousand dollars, and neither really floated my boat. I struck out with Heritage and David Lawrence. So I am beginning to wonder whether finding one with eye appeal that I can afford is a needle in haystack search.
I have seen many attractive brown large cents with varying amounts of red highlights. I also have a chocolate brown Half Cent that I think is very attractive. Perhaps I should be looking for an attractive brown one.
Anyhow, if anyone could share their thoughts, I would be grateful.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16341 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2019  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just make sure that they are sealed in a good airtight environment.
Is a slab good enough to provide this sort of environment?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12953 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2019  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's plenty of attractive BN Large Cents and you would have an easier time finding one and more leeway with what dates you can go for. That said if you want an RB one for under 1k the 1850s dates will be your best bet.
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
Edited by basebal21
02/05/2019 03:19 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18968 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2019  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They have been in around for so long that darkening is just normal. Yet they do exist.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2019  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be patient. They're out there. At a price you can live with is another story. I only have two and one is a lighter brown, not chocolate, which looks good. But I haven't put much effort into those just yet to make a call on scarcity.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7099 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2019  03:05 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Red brown two cents aren't all that hard to find in my own experience, but finding the right one can be tougher. Look for coins with no tiny dark carbon spots, these can grow over time and are most likely caused before the coin was slabbed, by somebody talking over the coin, the little carbon spots are usually from spittle drops. The color will definitely change over time to a darker brown. This is usually accelerated by exposure to light, so a dark dry storage environment is recommended, also check in on your stored coins a couple times a year. I didn't on an Indian cent collection I had in a Harco Album, (while I was away at college) About 5 or 6 years later I found it in storage and the album being made of PVC strips had caused my coins to be swimming in a pool of green slime, most were corroded. Live and learn.

Buying RB Two Cent Pieces, I would recommend staying at MS63 or better in grade 64 or better if you can afford it.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05