Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are All 2x2 The Same OR Is There A Difference?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
361 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  11:49 pm Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I mean is there a difference to them in quality of material? do they all use Mylar or some don't.
Is glue or good old staples better?
Can you DIY some 2x2?

what's the best amount to get for before you don't really get any more of a discount per unit?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9123 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just buy from a reputable coin supply dealer like Wizard and you'll be fine - the good guys use acid-free cardboard and mylar for their 2x2s.

regarding glue/staples, I think you'll find that most people here use staples (this opens up another discussion on flat-clinch staplers ).
Not entirely sure what you mean by DIY 2x2... they're so inexpensive that it wouldn't be remotely worth it IMHO.

As far as amount to buy before discount is negligible, I don't know. I am still working through the stacks in various sizes I purchased a few years back. Don't use them very often - most of my coins go into albums.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14829 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a self sealed stick together type, and a
staple to close type.

I am happy with both types.

Quality of both types across all manufacturers, is fine.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25736 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a difference. I remember having some a long time ago where the Mylar,if that is what it was was had a milky look to it instead of being clear. The cardboard was also a little yellowish instead of being white. The cardboard was also a bit thicker than it should have been. Nowadays they are mostly good quality but once in awhile I will come across one where when you fold it over it does not line up properly. As to bulk prices,check eBay. A pack of 100 is around $3-4 U.S.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1156 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  05:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer the staple type ...Purely because if you ever want to handle the coin again or take another photo you can carefully remove 2 of the staples and take out the coin and after just replace the coin and restaple it...The glue type is destroyed when trying to take out the coin.....Paul
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17409 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you notice those cardboard 2x2's do not have a manufacturers name on them. Made in many places by different companies. Some are slightly larger and/or thicker than others. With out documentation, you really don't know what the plastic or cardboard is made of. So yes there are differences.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11403 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Staples are better. You don't want that much glue surrounding the coin
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05