Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922 Peace Dollar - Is This Really Contemporary Counterfeit?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Russian Federation
367 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  10:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add flying_teapot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this on local marketplace website. Seller says it's contemporary counterfeit. Medal alignment.
I didn't find anything in google about similar contemporary counterfeits, so I need your help.

US coin collector from Russia
Come to see my collection http://goccf.com/t/309048
My wishlist and trade
http://goccf.com/t/311993
Bedrock of the Community
United States
26769 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look a little odd,but I see no reason to fake a 1922?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2351 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  10:17 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt that is a contemporary counterfeit. Looks modern to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
34537 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does he offer any reasons or explanation?
Valued Member
Russian Federation
367 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flying_teapot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No extra explanation. And I think it's modern cast.
My wishlist and trade
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2105 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  10:54 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
typical Asian counterfeit,
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6900 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the seller is using the word "contemporary" as
a means of selling a counterfeit coin.
Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
367 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flying_teapot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hah, no, he claims that is was made in 20's
My wishlist and trade
Pillar of the Community
United States
1479 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's medal alignment, it's almost certainly counterfeit. The details (specifically some of the lettering like the "B" in Liberty, "W" in "We" and the lower line of the second "2") also look wrong to me, compared to a genuine piece, and the overall finish looks like what I often see described here as a cast copy.

Nonetheless, medal alignment.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6900 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
he claims that is was made in 20's

Doesn't matter when it was made, it's still a counterfeit,
maybe just an old counterfeit.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11769 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Doesn't matter when it was made, it's still a counterfeit,
maybe just an old counterfeit.

Actual contemporary counterfeits can be highly collectable and even quite valuable. I seriously doubt there's anything contemporary about the one in this thread
Pillar of the Community
United States
1524 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were contemporary fake Morgans, so I guess it's possible. The price of the silver was less than half of face value, so the temptation was there, and the fakes sometimes had more silver than real ones (all this according to PCGS). This one looks like cheap Chinese to me though.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16774 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably a Chinese modern fake.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
34537 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, most likely a recent fake.
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say it's real. The overall surface texture is consistent with being circulated. That and the smooth wear transition of the reverse at the top. As far as buying it? Would not pay more than $17 (melt value).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6900 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd say it's real.

How can it be real with Medal Alignment?

Edit:
Correct spelling
Edited by JimmyD
02/12/2019 9:39 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05