Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rare 1943 Lincoln Cent Made Of Tin And Other Metals

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  4:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Numismatic News - M. Houston, an unsuspecting collector, found a Lincoln cent on the ground as a child. He retained this cent in his collection for 50 years or more. He recalls what struck him about the coin was it was silvery-grey in color. This was different from any other Lincoln cent he had seen.

Many years later, as an adult, he read an article about the copper alloy 1943 cents which encouraged collectors to try attracting their 1943 cents to a magnet. All of his did, except one.

He decided to call the American Numismatic Association, and historian, Sam Gelberd. After describing what he found, Gelberd suggested that he check to see if the coin was stamped on a foreign planchet minted at the US mint. Gelberg sent him a list from the Liberty Coin Service.

Read the entire article
Pillar of the Community
United States
1059 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Evan7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40324 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never heard that story before!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12706 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New to me too.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15739 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I remember correctly the tin/antimony composition IS listed as one of the experimental alloys tested for the 1943 cents and is listed in Roger Burdettes book on the experimental one and five cent pieces of WWII. (Can't check for sure, I lent my copy to a fellow coin club member a couple weeks ago.)
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
572 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panther to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a bit confused with the story.
Why would he be Struck at finding a 1943 Lincoln one cent coin that was Silver Gray in color. They all were ? Even if it were the first one he saw, after he saw several he would realize the one he saved was NOT unusual ?

Now if he said the coin was NOT Silvery Gray in color I would understand.

Dan
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39067 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. NGC must have dismissed it as a regular steel cent at first, without bothering to test the composition -- I would think that the submitter would have informed them that he suspected it was not steel, likely by it not being strongly attracted to a magnet. XRF tests are pretty definitive, so there is no doubt in my mind that NGC didn't perform that test the first time around.
Edited by jimbucks
06/27/2019 4:24 pm
Learn More...
United States
76152 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
941 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I were to fake a coin I would use a similar alloy, tin-antimony is so easy and fun to cast.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05