Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

(4) 2019-D LSC Side By Sides-Obverse Comparisons

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 725Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
244 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  03:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add briarmentrout to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Now that I have started to receive 2019-LSC in change, I'm trying to start documenting them so I can better understand DDD/MD/DDO/DDR etc...

I'm not sure if this will actually be helpful to anyone else, coins are in the same order for ever picture... also numbered 1-4

Edited by briarmentrout
02/15/2019 03:54 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33653 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not seeing any kind of doubling
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2881 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  07:06 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with John, I don't see anything.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26753 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  09:59 am  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are all normal. There's no Doubled Die Obverse or Reverse.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
Machine Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Split Plate Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/357614
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add briarmentrout to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't think that there was any DDO or DDR.... if you guys read what I wrote before the pictures, I said I was going to start documenting the 2019 cents so that I can get a better understanding / visuals of DDD/ Die Deterioration... different phases of the dies.... and the general thickness and look of the devices...
Pillar of the Community
United States
710 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get ya... but no need to re-invent the wheel. At the same time more power to you - it can be informational for sure!

That is why this forum is great! Many have put a lot of work in putting together this information and comparative images already ;)

Have you checked out CoopHome post... He has included links and photos to all kinds of topics. I've learned a lot... and still learning

Have fun!
Edited by Eyes4Error
02/15/2019 5:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add briarmentrout to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I have yet to be able to identify or find a DDO or DDR... so this is my attempt at changing that...

Also, I didn't know about coopshome page so thank you for that!

óMods feel free to delete this post
Pillar of the Community
United States
710 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'll get it... it just takes some time and familiarity.

I started a year ago... I have posted many coins I thought were DDO or DDR...and did not pan out. That's how you learn!

I haven't found many to be honest... all minor DD... I have found mostly errors and RPMs!

If you learn the actual process of making the coin...errors and varieties will make more CENTS! And make you think when you see an odd coin on "how did that happen?"...

Happy Hunting!

Edited by Eyes4Error
02/15/2019 5:48 pm
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add briarmentrout to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've researched and watched videos about how they are made. I started collecting coins a few years ago, but have only started to "inspect them" over the past year... I've searched through thousands of coins and have yet to find anything of significant value... it's starting to get really discouraging. Which is why I started to do side by sides... this was my FIRST attempt at comparing them and I did see minor variations but nothing of value, mostly Die Deterioration...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1143 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cookiemonster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2881 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, I get it now.

If it helps you, go ahead. Side-by-sides have helped me see differences on coins/fonts/letters I'm not familiar with.

When starting out, browsing doubleddie.com, coppercoins.com, and varietyvista.com really helped me understand what to look for. Just go through the listings for the types of coins you look at and look for patterns. You'll notice that for some dates and coins a majority of doubled dies will look the same or have doubling in the same locations.

It took me a while to find my first "worth-while" coin and those major ones are still few and far between. So don't worry about not finding anything just yet, you said it yourself, you've only been 'inspecting' for a year now. My first great doubled die find was the 1983 DDR which I found in June 2017. I started searching in March 2016. It takes time.

Also, there are very few doubled dies known on Denver-minted coins in recent years, so you being in CA gives you a slight disadvantage. But if the Denver mint screws up big time in the near future, you might be the first to find it. I don't know many variety-hunters on the west coast, and I rarely get new Denver coins here.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 725Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05