Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is Your Favorite Colonial Coin ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2019  10:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ACoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. Previoulsy posted in US Classic and Colonial Variety and Error Coins. ***

I am a newbie at collection colonial coins , I personally like them all . I know there are a lot of them , what do you prefer ? Large cents , Half Cents , fugio , baker ,etc. ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2019  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi and to CCF!

I think they are all really cool. The earlier the better. I think Pine or Oak Tree Shillings and Vermont copper landscapes are my favorites. But that's probably because I don't own any yet.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2019  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not sure I can pick a favorite, but I do like the Rosa Americana coins. I would love to have a Higley, but that is not gonna happen!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15860 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2019  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
, what do you prefer ? Large cents , Half Cents , fugio

None of those are colonials, the state coppers and the vermont coppers are not colonials either.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2019  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Condor, when does the colonial period end in terms of colonial coinage? I had thought it ended when the constitution was ratified (so Fugios would fall under them). Thanks!
Mistakes are painful when they happen, but years later a collection of mistakes is what is called experience. - Denis Waitley

I have a lot of experience - CoinsKelly
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2019  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While technically not Colonials, state coppers and the like have always been collected under the "colonial" banner. Even the "Colonial Newsletter" one of the original publications for colonials has always been heavily State coppers. Todays "C4" "Colonial Coin Collectors club" is also heavily State coppers. Heck I've been collecting them for over forty years and while not technically correct I still call them colonials. I suppose pre Federal or early American would be better.
Pillar of the Community
United States
501 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2019  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without question. The Nova Costellio.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15860 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2019  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Condor, when does the colonial period end in terms of colonial coinage? I had thought it ended when the constitution was ratified (so Fugios would fall under them).

I would say when the Treaty of Paris was signed in 1783 and they had actually won their independence. (July 1776 was when we DECLARED our independence, 1783 was when we actually BECAME independent.) Until that time they were still colonies, just colonies in rebellion. And then also in 1783 they ratified the Articles of Confederation and became States of the larger Federal Union. (Vermont was not a part of the Confederation, it could best be described as being an independent country. It didn't become a state until 1791.) The Fugio was an issuance of the new Federal Government, not a colony. The issues of CT, NJ, and MA were issues of the States after they ceased to be colonies. This was permitted by the Articles of Confederation. The Federal government set the standards but the states were allow to issue coinage to those standards. Once the Constitution was ratified the states lost the right to create their own money. (The question about when the Constitution was ratified has its own problems. The standard answer is 1787 when 9 states had ratified it, that being the 2/3rd required as stated in the Constitution itself. But that was kind of a circular reasoning, a change in the ratification rules contained in the document that is being ratified. That shouldn't be possible because until it is ratified those rules don't apply. The rules that applied should have been the rules under the Articles of Confederation which required UNANIMOUS consent. The last of the 13 states didn't ratify the Constitution until 1791.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2019  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes sense - thanks!

Mistakes are painful when they happen, but years later a collection of mistakes is what is called experience. - Denis Waitley

I have a lot of experience - CoinsKelly
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ACoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for all the information Conder101 ! I was wrong personally about the large cent and Half Cent , I meant to mentioned earlier coinage . I don't believe you mentioned , what is your favorite colonial coin ?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15860 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2019  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably the Virginia Halfpenny. There really aren't that many true colonials that were actually authorized issues and actually intended for circulation in the colonies, and most of those are rather expensive (Authorized issues being the Massachusetts silver, Lord Baltimore coinage, and William Wood's Rosa Americana coinage). But the Virginia half penny has the distinction of being the only colonial piece actually authorized by the British government for circulation here and they are available in fairly decent condition without costing an arm and a leg. They also have many die varieties but are not widely collected by variety.ven easy to locate a reference on the varieties. Even Bowers book on the colonials lists less than half of them but lists most of the varieties on everything else.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05