Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found A Silver 1963 Penny?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  5:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked this up at a coin shop today as part of a 5 for $1 deal along with a couple US wheat cents that I needed. Not really sure what I'm looking at here. Probably nothing exciting but maybe a planchet error? Thanks for your help!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1506 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My gut feel would say it's plated. It is on a full size planchet so it is not struck on a 10 cent planchet. The surfaces look a little odd.

I am sure the moderator, who is an expert and has access to lab equipment, would be happy to do XRF analysis to figure it out.

A quick check would be to weigh it. A normal cent of this date is 3.2g. If it was say 3.2 to 3.4g, plating seems likely.

You could also test it with a magnet. If copper plated, it should be non-magnetic unless the plating was highly magnetic.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your reply. I don't have access to a scale, but hitting it with what is basically a strong refrigerator magnet doesn't show any magnetism.

Who knows. Maybe somebody was bored and got out the can of spray paint.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the CCF

Chances are pretty good that it has been plated.
Not uncommon as they were plated for jewelry
or sometimes done as lab experiments at school.
I'm sure if it was anything else you wouldn't have
found it in 5 for dollar bin at a coin shop
Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
714 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that it looks plated. take it to your local post office and ask nicely and they will weigh it for you. if it's plated, you could also scratch the rim to see if there is any copper showing. the fields don't look quite right especially around the queen's face where it is quite pebbled so you aren't taking a huge risk by scratching the rim to check for copper.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, sounds like plated is the safe bet. Still an interesting find for me. First one I've come across.
Pillar of the Community
United States
791 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently they used to plate coins with mercury as a school experiment.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35354 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree most likely plated. We did a lot of weird things to cents back then for no reason I can recall.

to the CCF!
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes. Sounds like a good coin to keep in the two by two.

Thanks everybody for their help. I really appreciate the engagement. Very welcoming community.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4285 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your easiest way to tell if it's struck on a dime is the weight, I think a dime in that era weighs like 2.3 grams, lf it's penny weight you have a plated penny, there are penny on dimes in this year and welcome !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11044 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coinsinvt, I have nothing to add to answer your question, but I did want to mention one small thing. From looking at your pics, I see that you have stapled shut your 2x2s (or perhaps this is how it came when you bought it). Either way, I strongly recommend that you flatten the staples. Otherwise, depending on how you store them, the staples could rub up against an adjacent coin and scratch it.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great tip. Thanks!
Learn More...
Canada
8419 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Full collar, full strike.... most likely a plated coin.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
United States
70746 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05