Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Doubling Found On The Tail Of "2" On A 1972-S And 1972-D LMC

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  8:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Anvil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

I used this 1972-D as a reference when comparing the two pennies in the photos below. There is doubling on the "2" on both pennies. Is this a type Machine Doubling too?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4016 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like it took a hit on that spot looking like doubling.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35701 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a contact mark on that area. What do you really need to find a DDO this year? Here is what to look for:

Look for this clue on the '9' on the date. Remember that when searching. If the notch is there, you may have something on that coin. If not, then it is probably not a DDO. (but there are some that are on the master die doubling examples on the top of the '2' on the date. Note white arrows on this image. Also, click on it to enlarge the image. Save it for your own educational files. Just something I figured out a few years back.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anvil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop thanks for the information on the doubling for the 1972 LMC. That helps. I believe I have a match to your examples. This is a difficult angle to get a good photo to capture the doubling.

Staff, thanks for the heads up on the proper titling for post.
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anvil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took some more photos of these 1972-P and 1972-D LMC pennies so you all might be able to help me get a better ID of the variety.

The 1972-P looks to me like it may fit the 1972-P-1D0-003 variety that Coop posted examples of. The loop of the "9" seems to match. The inner loop and the horizontal bar of the "2" seem to match the "2" in the 1972-P-1D0-003 example, and also in the example of the "2" in the photo depicting an example of the Master Die doubling. What do you all think?

I'm curious to know whether you all think the 1972-D LMC penny devices also show signs of doubling?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35701 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well matching them up means more than just one area that looks close. All the devices on the coin must match exactly like the attributed die. On the 1972 plain DDO-003 all the devices are hub doubled. This one also looks similar to DDO-008. But when you see the sides side by side, then you note the differences:

When you look at each set of images of side by sides, then you note the 003 is not as strong as the 008. But looking at the dates, I noticed a big difference on the '2' of each coin.

You coin is not either of these. The purpose of the listing of the dates I posted is just what to look for on a DDO for this year. Not that the examples are identified by just the date. (except for the DDO-009 which is the only affected area on this master die doubled example. But note the other mastered die doubled example on the top of the collage, the shape of the '9' is different because of the doubling on the die) The purpose was to show how a doubled die that had doubling on the date area is different from a normal coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05