Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Fake Silver Coin

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  9:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jess2014 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hi I have this coin not sure if its fake or not have done the maganet test and it doesn't stick to the maganet think its been a broach at some poin thans fiona

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6502 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FAKE FAKE FAKE.
Just compare to picture of genuine Morgan.
Not even close.

But to the CCF anyway
Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2072 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, the coin, is a fake..
Valued Member
Canada
164 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Type " Morgan dollar" into google and compare that coin to yours. Appears to be a crude counterfeit.
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may appear as a fake but the tooling and enameling that a jeweler did to turn a silver dollar into a late Victorian brooch make it look like anything but authentic...maybe not any longer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1524 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  01:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know, common Morgan made into jewelry seemingly a long time ago - I see no reason to suspect counterfeit. The raw material probably only cost them the $1 face value. I think they just "enhanced" the obverse.
Valued Member
United States
226 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have a small smooth magnet that's very strong, you can try tilting the coin and see if the magnet slides slowly down. If it slides fast, it's not silver. Do the same thing with a fairly large recent non-silver coin to compare.

You could put plastic wrap on the coin to protect it.

If the magnet isn't strong enough, it will slide fast. If it's hard to remove from your refrigerator, it should be strong enough. A neodymium magnet should work.
Edited by Pauldog
03/14/2019 03:15 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1524 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  02:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am opposed to this idea of sliding magnets against potentially valuable coins. It's just bad advice.
Valued Member
United States
226 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  03:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't it be safe with 2-3 layers of plastic wrap? A flip would normally work, too, but this coin has those projections on it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1839 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  05:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like tramp art, probably on a real coin. A jewelry store or coin shop could tell you whether it has any scrap value, which would be $10-15 at the most.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17604 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regardless of real or not, now damaged.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just my opinion of course but if it was a copy or fake made just for jewelry, why put a reverse on it? Also, either way I think it's kinda cool looking, I'd keep it as an oddity.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15104 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably real but the obv has been extensively "reworked" as part of the enameling process.

Quote:
I am opposed to this idea of sliding magnets against potentially valuable coins. It's just bad advice.

True but this isn't a potentially valuable coin.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16573 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very poor fake.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33405 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes!

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Check babysitr's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add babysitr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how about size and weight?.I agree with frog, Yikes
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05