Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yet Another Lowball - 1922 S Peace Dollar - Some Dings, But...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  12:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The culls I got seem to be more interesting than I thought at first. Once I got past the painted ones and the gouged ones, there were several with some possibilities.

I had been assuming the mint mark area on this one was too worn down, but I took a closer look, and there it was...

Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FR Details - Cleaned sounds about right. I'd carry it around some more, can't hurt.
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just put it in my pocket. I don't think I've ever carried around a silver dollar in my pocket before. Right now, I've got a lot of nickels and dimes in there from coin roll hunting, so we'll see what happens. Since the dollar is the softest coin, I hope it just gets more worn, but not more banged up. Not much to lose, though...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1524 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems deliberately "worn" to me (like, with a belt sander). I mean, the whole left quarter of the coin is worn off, but it didn't obliterate the date? Just the left side and right side, but not the top and bottom? That's the problem I have with this whole lowball thing.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17948 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It dose appear to have been used in the past.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
71027 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just put it in my pocket... Right now, I've got a lot of nickels and dimes in there from coin roll hunting, so we'll see what happens...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35585 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FR-02.
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't make it any more worn than it already was, and I got it as a cull. The wear seems fairly uniform, with somewhat more wear on the first digit of the year.

The rims are completely worn down, but the mint mark is still visible. I think that would be very hard to accomplish with a sander, and then you'd have to get rid of the shine.

Lowballs aren't that well-known, so I don't think it's likely that a previous owner tried to create one.
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose the face of Liberty isn't worn down enough to make it P01?

There must be lowball collections with F02 coins, because P01 is so hard to find. (Analogous to MS65 vs. MS63, etc.?) On the way from F2 to P1, many coins would become ungradeable.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05