Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Booker T. Washington Half On Ebay Legit? Need Help With PCGS Ogh Identification.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  01:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add superjess to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm brand new to this site. Hopefully, my first post comes out correct. Anyways, I was searching Ebay and found this. It's a PCGS MS64 in the OGH. I know PCGS was harder on grading when this holder was used.

Something about this coin doesn't feel right. It doesn't look like a MS64 or even MS for that matter. Also, the reverse label looks strange. The way the blue cuts into the "v" in "service." Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Learn More...
United States
13846 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  01:35 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I moved your post to the appropriate section for the proper attention.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
2740 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kinda ugly huh? Probably legit, just unattractive.
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks sketchy to me, too, but this is what comes up on the search:

https://www.PCGS.com/cert/03023755

My impression is that fakes are usually better-known, more expensive coins, and look nice at first glance. When you take a closer look, you can start to see something wrong.

With regard to that specific coin, I'd just as soon shop for a decent-looking one without a slab, and get it at a better price.
Edited by Pauldog
03/14/2019 03:23 am
Learn More...
United States
68289 Posts
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you had some kind of weird "low ball" type collection of ugliest MS coins you might want that! Also just curious if any expert could tell us how old that slab is?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1931 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  10:21 am  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
99% sure it's genuine. If this is the type of toning you're attracted to, you should be able to pick up this one for $25.00 or less IMO. Generation 1.2 slab. PCGS put together this wonderful museum of slab history... check it out. https://www.PCGS.com/holders
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33399 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost certainly genuine, just doesn't show well with this sort of toning. Much nicer examples can be had for little money.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11631 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also just curious if any expert could tell us how old that slab is?

About 30 years
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6568 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Concur with genuine and minimal eye appeal to most collectors.

There are certainly folks who would enjoy that type of toning - most would avoid it.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add superjess to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05