Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1893 Vicky Large Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
2388 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  12:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
We were discussing some scarcer 1893 Vicky large cents on another site, so I had to post a few photos there from some research that I had done for inclusion in the 2011 Charlton that we did. I thought that I would do the same thing here so you folks can see them. That date has some really nicely offset repunches. Two of them are in Charlton, but one of those is a bit different, so maybe not and there's another I have seen only once and I have it. I've never seen another one in anyone else's hands. It looks like the 9 of a 9/6 1859, with the gap filled in, as well as the small protrusions in the upper loop.

The last 2 (or 1st 2, however the computer spits it out) are from a single coin that has a "round-the-clock" die crack running all through the inside beads on the Obverse. In 4 different places, the D/C shoots out from the beads, through the letter and to the denticles, but I'm only showing 2 .. the other 2 D/C's through the letter are heavier. The die couldn't have struck many more coins. 1893 is a great variety year with some nice offset repunches, both to the 9 and the 3, since both digits were handpunched into the working die. I have 6 different 9 repunches and 4 different 3 repunches and don't count the 3's that are canted/rotated. Enjoy these .. I have more:

Edited by okiecoiner
03/14/2019 1:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1364 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting these picture's Okie I can see I have some more hunting to do in the 1893's you show a couple I don't have and the 9/6 look alike I have never ever seen either.

I love treasure hunting so happy hunting
Pillar of the Community
United States
2388 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have pretty well given up on the treasure hunts. I go to shows now just to see old friends and I haven't bought an EBay coin in a long time .. gave up looking. I have boxes and bags unlooked at if I get bored
Pillar of the Community
Canada
570 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add viper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the ones that I have.
I am not really looking for them either!

Enjoy

MG
Pillar of the Community
United States
2388 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's the last one of yours that is the real toughie to find ... the first 2 tough, but findable. Since the last 2 digits were handpunched into the working die, the guy with the punch and hammer must have had a liquid lunch. Nice coins, MG and it's good to have a few Vicky's in a thread. Kinda like the old CCRS times.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1519 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okiecoiner the 1893 penny. that I have matches the one you posted first. would that coin be difficult to find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2388 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  06:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of those that have been posted here are tough to find .. it's just that some are scracer than others. The first one of mine posted is extremely scarce & is over $100 Cdn even in VG. MY first and MG's last are the same variety. Good hunting!
Pillar of the Community
United States
652 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okiecoiner, I love that last obverse you show with all of the die cracks. Do you have a full side photo of that obverse? I was wondering where the other two radial die cracks you mention were at. Is it a later state of the last obverse that MG showed with the crack through the last A of CANADA?

There seems to be a lot of interesting re-punched 9 die pairs in the 1893's.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2388 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, it's not like MG's. T in Gratia, G in Regina, C in Canada and O in Victoria. The one through the O in Vicky is the smallest, but it's still huge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
652 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Okiecoiner. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of those. I love those very late die states.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1364 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think maybe I found one of these obverse die crack coins a couple days after you posted it Okie my luck is still with me.
It took a while to come from over seas but come yesterday in the mail.
pictures to confirm

Pillar of the Community
Canada
676 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like they may have changed the reverse die on your coin padeldog.
Do you see any doubling on the nine?

Cheers Bill
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1364 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I removed some of the gunk around the 9 and 3 and took another scan of them I don't see any doubling on the 9 or 3 Hounddog Bill, but the 3 does have a die crack in the field just above the3 coming from the T in cent
Edited by papeldog
04/13/2019 12:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1364 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have few that are Triple punched but this one here could be a later strike as well as it has an additional die crack from the usual 3 on the obverse. most TP have the 3 die cracks that are the first and last A's in Canada and the tell tail marker for this coin between DEI and Gratia, but this one has the extra crack between the R an I in Victoria.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1425 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 1893 re-punched 3
No re-punched 9's

Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Edited by fourmack
04/13/2019 6:11 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05