Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newbie Here, Need Advice On If I Should Have These Graded

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  2:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GalvestonCoinNew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I inherited my grandfather's coin collection and am debating getting them graded. Although I doubt they are worth a fortune, he seemed to think they were. I'm worried that the grading might cost more than they would sell for. I have 59 Kennedy half dollars, 9 walking lady liberties (1928-1945), 2 Franklin Halfs(1957-1958) a 1921 Morgan dollar, 11 Eisenhower dollars (1971-1976), 4 Buffalo nickels (1924,1925,1936,1936), 8 Indian head pennies (1900-1907) about 500 wheat pennies, a Mercury dime, several early 60'dimes. Any advice would be appreciated since I'm very, very new to this.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoy the collection or sell it for the approx. $250-$350 it sounds like it is worth.
Grading will not do you any good unless some of those Wheat Cents are rare dates.
Learn More...
United States
73250 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37738 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only real possibilities for value are in the wheat cents, and the odds are long even there.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4361 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community!

with BigSilver
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12127 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It all depends on what they would grade. Anyone of those could be worth it if it would grade high enough or with the right designation. Without knowing the condition it would be impossible to say but the odds are against them all being really high grades
Bedrock of the Community
United States
27983 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. As a general rule,the coin needs a retail value after grading of at least $150 to justify all costs involved with grading.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8837 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.

Stick around ...in not time you will learn and decide for yourself.
Edited by Dorado
03/22/2019 3:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6010 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm worried that the grading might cost more than they would sell for.

Wise.

1. If selling, then a graded coin will bring a higher price for you. But, as you have already said you suspect, not all coins are worth grading in order to maximize profits when selling.

2. Don't clean or wipe any of them. Shiny is not better! Condition is everything and even wiping with a facial tissue will make scratches that will lessen the values.

3. Posting some group pics of the different types would help as a first step. Then we could see if there might be something potentially worth having graded and ask for better pictures to offer a grade opinion. We have some excellent people here on this forum who will give you a good idea as to what to do.

4. Key dates are something you also should look for. A key date does not have to be mint state to be worth a higher value. You could google, for instance, "key date Walking Liberty halves," and get a list of the ones that are more rare.

A few starter tips:
Kennedy halves - 1964 is 90& silver, then from 1965-1970 they are 40% silver. After those dates circulated ones are worth .50 each (yes - even Bicentennials).

Your "early 60's dimes:"
1960-1964 are silver - none uncommon.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3443 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn.
To help in letting you know what grade a particular coin might be, post quality pictures in the right section and the pros could tell you all you need to know.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...g-images.asp

There is also a whole section on photography.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12127 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
4. Key dates are something you also should look for. A key date does not have to be mint state to be worth a higher value. You could google, for instance, "key date Walking Liberty halves," and get a list of the ones that are more rare.

I'll save him some time.

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml

Just go to that price guide for the series, ignore the prices in general and don't get to excited by the possibilities but the keys and better dates can easily be recognized by looking at the highest and higher starting prices
Pillar of the Community
United States
3314 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the limited information in your post, no.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GalvestonCoinNew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the warm welcomes and great advice. I am suspicious of one of the 1964 Kennedys that he kept sleeved..it has that crazy hair going on above the ear, possibly accented. Will post pics for further opinions.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add superjess to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1964 has to be a proof to have accented hair. Did you grandfather leave any written records about his collection? Often collectors love to inventory and keep documents.

Before you spend money having anything graded or sale anything, I suggest you buy a price guide. Even a magazine such as " Coin World" will give you prices for about $6/issue.

You mentioned "a Mercury dime." If that dime is a 1916 D, 1921, 1921 D, or 1942 over-date, it could be beneficial to have it graded. Also, the Franklin Halves-- If they are un-circulated and have full bell lines, it may be beneficial.

You could keep the coins as a starter collection. My great-grandfather got me interested when I was 7 years old with his collection. These coins could be your catalyst into the hobby.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2019  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GalvestonCoinNew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Superjess the Mercury dime is a 1942... and the franklins are uncirculated, sharp bell lines. All of his collection is in 2x2 or 2.5 x 2.5 cardboard/mylar flips. Don't know if that's an indication for anything but there is an inventory list..just doesn't have any grades or values on it. I really think I'll be using this as a jumping off point to a very interesting new hobby.Thanks for the help.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05