Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Beautiful Bond Backs

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  5:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Most collectors pay little attention to the back sides of old bonds. For the most part, these are simply utilitarian -- a place to record the transfer of bondholders. Bonds were often folded in quarters and so a title panel was frequently included, but nothing fancy.

But there are a few bonds that the issuers decided to dress up, paying an extra price to the banknote printing firm for additional engraving. My suspicion is that these bonds tended to be riskier investments (think junk bonds), so the issuing company did everything they could to make them appear impressive. This was definitely the case with West Shore Railroad.

As I go through my collection now, I've been checking the backs to see what surprises I might find. I'll post the most interesting ones that I come across.

Edited by GregAlex
04/02/2019 5:30 pm
Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2797 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to cash in the one payable in $1000 of gold coin! I wonder when that became worthless.

50 ounces of gold...
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got busy with the scanner today after going through a batch of bonds. The lathe work on these is outstanding!

Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I got busy with the scanner today after going through a batch of bonds. The lathe work on these is outstanding!
Very nice!
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And the rest of the batch...

Edited by GregAlex
06/03/2019 5:17 pm
Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2019  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found three more nice ones...

Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10094 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man these are nice. Really looking good.

@GregAlex, above you said...

Quote:
The lathe work on these is outstanding!

Lathe? I guess I'm used to a wood or metal lathe and I can't see how one of those lathes would have been used to create these... Can you explain? Thanks!
Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10094 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2019  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The lathe used to create the image on the plate?

I'm having a difficult time visualizing how a lathe would be used to create the engravings. Perhaps eccentric turning?
Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2019  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps. I am ignorant here, but I would not be surprised if some of those patterns are easier to create on a rotating cylinder than on a flat surface.
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2019  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you imagine the patterns made by an old Spirograph, that is the basis of a geometric lathe. These were first invented to do ornamentation on jewelry, pocket watches and things like Faberge eggs. But someone realized that if you engraved the patterns on to a flat metal plate you could then use it for intaglio printing as well.

Here is an article and video about a rose engine lathe that shows it retty well:
https://makezine.com/2018/03/22/beh...rose-engine/
Edited by GregAlex
08/02/2019 12:15 am
Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2019  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another bond back with a nice figure incorporated.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05