Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1934\35 Melbourne Commemorative Florin - I Need Some Advise Please

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bull to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My search for a Melbourne Centenary Florin is proving to be filled with pitfalls & many differing opinions that keep giving me cold feet. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, the florin pictured a few posts above is currently being sold on Ebay (293044188477) by Monetarium Adelaide which, to me, gave it some legitimacy & made me feel safe purchasing from them. However,
now that two members of this forum have cast doubt on it, there's no chance I'm going to buy it.
Thanks for your honest, up front opinion on it all sel_69l. I appreciate it.
If anyone else has any helpful advice, I'd love to hear it.
Valued Member
Australia
82 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bull

My thoughts - I think the one " you came across" is a counterfeit. Apart from the coin having a good dip, looking at the horse's bottom jaw/lip : the jaw/lip seems to be " hanging " too close to the horse's chest.

The rider's left arm is " unusual " from what is the norm, the horse's leg knuckles are " unusual ".

It also appears as though the horse's head is joined onto it's chest instead of having a clear visible gap.

If I can get the time, I should have a look at the MCFs I acquired in the 1960's. I believe they are " kosher ".

All/any input from as many contributers to ACC is invaluable to all of us.
Valued Member
Australia
208 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinOS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lack of wreath detail

There is a wreath on the centenary florin?
I must have missed it.

Quote:
Tone ping test, weight, and finally XRF test if justified, would prove beyond ant doubt.

Ping is easily done by anyone.
Specific gravity is the key test for predecimal silver.
Many of us have easy free access to XRF, all my valuable coins have been XRF tested.

If what you just typed is true -the contentious 1911 shilling I wrote about here last year is genuine as it passed all tests including XRF. Disappointing truth be told - as that 300 dollar coin would be worth more if it was counterfeit.

Quote:
there's no chance I'm going to buy it

I hope you find one you like.

Happy Easter
Edited by CoinOS
04/20/2019 05:57 am
Valued Member
Australia
208 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinOS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love this:
$3200

The seller describes the damage thus:
'Mount pin smashed during minting creating clamp points on an already scarce high grade coin'

during minting uh huh

Is there a polite way to say to the seller -
'You're an idiot'

?
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19877 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2019  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I love this:
$3200

It'll be gone soon.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1315 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2019  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree that wreath detail is not a great discriminator - I've only seen a handful of coins with a wreath that could be described as better than indistinct.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
682 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ping test, specific gravity and XRF analysis are not very useful in detecting high grade fakes struck on sterling silver. Not hard to make .925 blanks from melting down old coins purchased at bullion value by the bucket load and turning $7 of metal into fakes that sell for hundreds.
Australia
37 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Philski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi the first ebay florin is a fake. Its missing the design elements you should expect on a genuine coin. The cloak not quite touching and its rounded and the cloak missing a fold. Its much harder on the reverse as the elements are harder to spot other than the riders hand almost vanishing into the horse. And that can happen of worn coins. Once you know what to look for, they are really easy to spot though. I have a page full of these fakes in every denomination to compare. Fake Diameter 28.50mm same. Fake Weight 8.8385g should be 11.3100g.

Another key is the rough finish of the planchet leftover from the spark erosion machine EDM. Its hard to see in some of the images on ebay but under magnification in hand. They looks like its been soda blasted.

hope that helps.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15257 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that high quality .925 sterling silver fakes are becoming more common.

It is a good idea that we all become variety and minor error collectors.
As a by product of the observational skill in that area, it becomes easier to identify fake coins.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05