Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Toned Clad Kennedy Half Dollars - Any Value?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1296 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  10:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey, everyone. I happened across a pile of clad Kennedy halves that are toned in a variety of ways. These were in a jar with a plastic lid, sitting on someone's kitchen window shelf. I havent taken any pictures yet. My question is, do toned clad halves carry any premium or should I just dump them?

Thanks for your opinions.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10422 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without seeing any photos of these coins I would say any business strike clad Kennedy half that is environmentally toned would have NO added value . Just FV .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2866 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably not.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11758 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No way to say without seeing them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2256 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They don't, but I have a toned one which I sent to PCGS only because I found it cool.

Solotime
Edited by solotime
04/12/2019 12:38 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
26664 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the eye appeal and the grade.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
34330 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1296 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback.

Although I moved into my new place about 8 months ago, I've still not unpacked my camera. Hope I can get to that over the weekend. If so, I'll post a few pics. These halves have some pretty drastic toning - rainbows, copper tones, greens, etc. Most are lightly circulated, but there are a couple that might approach MS. Several bicentennial and some '70s & '80s dates. There were several 40%ers but they didn't tone as drastically or as interestingly. I'm kind of surprised at that.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1296 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I made a commitment to find the.camera and take photos of these toned Kennedys. I've never tried to photograph toning and I am unable to capture the real color of these coins. Obviously need to practice with lighting. My setup works fine for detail on white or copper coins but fails to accurately represent the hues I'm seeing on this set of coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2256 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You must move the coin around under a light to try and get a good photo of the tone.
Solotime
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1296 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@solotime, thank you for the direction. I've already released these halves back into the wild. After acetone soak, none of them appeared to be better than AU. I've never been a toned coin collector, but I would certainly want to take advantage of any premium that might be there. I just couldn't see any. I have a Mason jar full of dimes in the same state and will set all the non-silver in that stack free as well. Someone in the area may end up with some funky looking coins in the coming days.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4665 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I consider toning damage therefore making them undesirable. Plus I think toned coins are ugly.
*Complete Canada 50 cent set 1953-present
*Complete Canada Toonie ($2) set 1996-present
*And just a mix of everything else!
Learn More...
United States
69389 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I consider toning damage therefore making them undesirable. Plus I think toned coins are ugly.

A matter of opinion.
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I'm not sure that there would be much added value to the toning on a clad MS Kennedy half, proof issues can bring a bit of a premium.

The silver's are a different story.

Here's my one and only toned Kennedy half - a 1969D MS67* and a personal favorite.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1296 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the photos, Singer Some of the clad halves I had look very similar to your example.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11758 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
While I'm not sure that there would be much added value to the toning on a clad MS Kennedy half, proof issues can bring a bit of a premium.

The silver's are a different story.

It doesn't matter if it's clad, or silver, or business, or proof, if it has the right look they get premiums. The strike type and silver or clad only really matters in the sense of how they tone
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05