Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1864 Nova Scotia Lg Cent - Please Grade

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  11:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mtracy14 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Brutal comments welcome.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35497 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU sharpness but oddly even and unusual coloring - posasibly cleaned?

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
04/13/2019 2:23 pm
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtracy14 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was tired of not being able to see detail with the naked eye. So, since I plan on keeping the coin for life,I broke all of the rules, and cleaned it myself. A minute or two in Tarnex, a good rinse, and then a good cleaning with Wright's silver cream. A cleaning and rinse used with the sponge that came with the Wright's ended with good results, with no added scratching. I took the coin photos a few days ago. Since then, the coin has taken on a reddish tint. The brass look does seem to match the photos seen in Haxby's Guide Book of Canadian Coins.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2383 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is bronze, not brass. I would rinse the coin some more in distilled water to ensure that all the chemical components are gone. If you are wish to (or have to) clean a coin, make sure that the last thing that you do is long rinse in distilled water. What ends up scratching the coin is not necessarily what you use to rub it ... it is the dirt/grime that is loosened that the gets between to rubee and the coin. Then, viola, you have a scratch.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1624 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
au details
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Valued Member
Canada
313 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  10:16 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU 50 cleaned

Nice coin.

No nasty comments over here!
Valued Member
Canada
322 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a brutal comment from someone who has experimented with cleaning coins . OY, ARE YOU CRAZY? TarnX should not be used on copper or brass. It gives it an unnatural colour - the colour you see on the catalogue page shows uncirculated coins with original "red" colour . The silver cream is a polish that should never be used on any coin. All numismatic value of the coin has been lost . The only thing that could possibly aid removing bad toning is a rust remover , but that also could wreck the colour and value.
Edited by TerryT
04/15/2019 12:44 pm
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtracy14 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, Terry's, not crazy. My mother had me tested.#128540;
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2183 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the fields show little wear, other than bag marks. had you left the gunk on it I would speculate MS, and if not then easily high AU

throw it in a tupperware container with a moist paper towel and the yoke from a hard boiled egg, check it daily after 1 week. then pull it and soak it distilled water for a few days. rinse (distilled water) and let dry.
it will still remain a details "cleaned" coin, but at least you can accelerate the patina and make it somewhat presentable.

in the end, it's your coin, but the only favor you are doing is increasing the value (supply and demand) of other collector's similar (UN-violated) inventory.

don't get me wrong, I, as many other's, have learned the hard way. Onwards and upwards Tracy.

(ps, search out threads relating to VerdiCare or Verdigone. it will save a lot of heart-ache in the end) if not, then go to town

Edited by Wade
05/15/2019 9:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1229 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would want to experiment too if I couldn't see any detail, but only if acetone didn't work. Regardless, it's Your coin, you enjoy it how you like!
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
throw it in a tupperware container with a moist paper towel and the yoke from a hard boiled egg

Can I use a pigeon egg for smaller coins?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05