Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1796 Copper Myddelton Token Authenticity?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
461 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  5:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well, my area is ancient Roman coinage, so I'm out of my element. I picked this up with some other coinage (large cents, Indian head pennies etc..)from a yard sale. Well, I investigated and if this thing is real, I may have hit the jackpot.

I'm not that lucky though, so I seriously doubt it.

10.2 grams

Thanks everyone.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10720 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TC, in looking at other CCF threads mentioning this Kentucky pattern (and PCGS), looks like the real thing should be 29.4 mm and 11.31 grams, with serifs that are not split:

http://goccf.com/t/21210
http://goccf.com/t/22796

Added: I should point out that I'm pretty far out of my area of collecting with this piece and look forward to others weighing in with more knowledge.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
04/13/2019 5:16 pm
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A whole gram off hmmmm not looking good. I'm going to search for replicas. If this is one, I would suspect it's old.
Edited by travelcoin
04/13/2019 9:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7818 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are many replicas out there of this particular token (both the copper and silver "proof") but I think this may be an older electrotype based on the edge and surfaces, although a clear shot of the edge would be most helpful.

There is also a possibility that this is a Heaton restrike (ca. 1850s) using old dies from Soho but I can't find any evidence that this token was restruck by Heaton.

The texture and surfaces are off compared to modern available replicas, most of which are made from spark-erosion transfer dies or cast copies of existing pieces. Of course, someone could have taken a modern replica and "aged" it to make it look much older.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
04/13/2019 9:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...someone could have taken a modern replica and "aged" it to make it look much older.

This may be the case, I found a replica that may be a match.

"Copy" was also somehow removed.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05