Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Sestertius Of Trajan?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2499 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  07:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Weight 26.9 grams
Diameter 35 milimeters.

I am possibly imaging the letters to the left of the head:
avg trai

If anyone can get the RIC reference it would be great.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1377 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe Hadrian?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2987 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  09:43 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hemidrachm Hadrian
Nilus reclining

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273796266242
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
04/15/2019 09:44 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2499 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@fvrivs, is the higher weight of my specimen (actually it belongs to my LCS) of any significance?

Otherwise it seems to be a good match.
Valued Member
Canada
56 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Claudius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - provincial coin of Hadrian
Pillar of the Community
United States
2987 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weights of bronze coinage tends to have a much wider range than either silver or gold
A Roman copper As of the first century might be as low as 9 grams and top out at close to 12 grams
Sestertii likewise anywhere between 20 - 28 grams can be considered as normal
Bronze coins were mere tokens of exchange
No one "cheated" on the purity either
Of course the "orichalcum" coins were intended to mimic the color of gold
They must have made quite the impression from way up in the 'cheap seats' when the emperor paraded past with his servants throwing what looked like gold to the adoring crowds

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273796266242

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Pillar of the Community
United States
2987 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin has a nice patination but probably could be improved with proper conservation
Unfortunately the red type of encrustation is not my area of expertise
Green and dirt brown are fairly easy to deal with
I suppose a bath in acetone followed by olive oil for an extended period wouldn't hurt none
These large Alexandrian bronze 'tets' fetch fairly good prices even in worn condition
With a bit of improvement I could see a dealer asking for $100
Whether he gets it or not .......
Well that's another question

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2499 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite frankly, I would never have guessed it would have such a value-given its condition. I was asked to ID it. I prefer my ancients in much better shape, since I have only a representative sampling.

Anyway, I have told the owner and what he can ultimately sell it for is not a big concern of mine.

Once again, this seems to confirm my theory that with many ancients, they are almost worthless without the correct attribution.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05