Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian WW2 Medal Identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  11:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sn3rg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys my girlfriend had these given to her awhile ago and we are wondering if they are maybe rare at all or just common medals, not really worth much money? Any info at all is much appreciated

Pillar of the Community
United States
3932 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This may help. Your volunteer piece has the silver maple leaf, making it

more desirable. This is what they've fetched recently.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...H_Complete=1
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
579 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are all ww2 service medals issued by UK and Commonwealth, all fairly common.

Top row L to R
1939 - 45 star
Atlantic star
Canada volunteer service medal
1939-45 war medal

Bottom row
As above but with
2nd: Italy star
5th: South Africa - Africa service medal

A couple of concerns:

The top row has the pin bar mounted in such a way that when the medals are worn, the obverses ( fronts ) would be facing the chest. This is a significant breach of etiquette. There are complicated rules about how medals should be worn and this does not follow them.

In the second row there is a service medal issued to Canadian personnel, and one issued to South African. This could be possible but strikes me as odd. Also, the medal ribbon extends below the mounting at the top of the medal. This is a style known as court mounting, but others I have seen extend the ribbon further to the bottom of the medal.

My gut feeling is that although these are genuine medals, they might not be genuine groups. I am not a medal expert, just an interested observer, and could well be wrong. If you are thinking of selling I recommend consulting an expert.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05