Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

MS66 "First Discovery" 2019-w Lowell Quarter At Great Collections

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Great Collections Representative
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add greatcollections to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't quote properly here - but to @XavierOfGreen, that is a completely different issue.

- Ian
Pillar of the Community
United States
4331 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The value of this coin has absolutely nothing to do with the grade.

The value is all in the label which designates it as a discovery coin. Nothing more, nothing less.

Some doofus is paying 3000$+ for a label. Whatever ever happened to "buy the coin and not the holder"?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11863 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some doofus is paying 3000$+ for a label.

Why are they a doofus because you don't approve of what they want?

Juts remember whatever you have there is people with better who can be derogatory and call you a doofus for it as well

The jealously in collecting is such a turn off
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Am I the only one who read the Mint report? 2 million of these will be released. And two million of the remaining four for 2019. So congrats to the winning bidder. Try recouping it in a year.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11863 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Am I the only one who read the Mint report? 2 million of these will be released. And two million of the remaining four for 2019. So congrats to the winning bidder. Try recouping it in a year.

Would be more productive to actually understand the market and not be so demeaning to other collectors
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cboyera to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The market bears prices, just because you don't think it is worth it is irrelevant. All it takes is two people wanting the same thing that there is only one of (or two for this matter) and voila, you have a 25 cent coin worth $4k. It is not our position to judge but just to watch and appreciate our hobby is far from dead!
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Centsei to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Accepting in advance that I may be scolded for asking a stupid question, but how can there be two "first" discoveries? Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3654 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sent in at exact same time on the same day (within 1 hr of each other)
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rules are laid out on the PCGS Quarter Quest page at https://www.PCGS.com/2019quarterquest -- "First Discovery" is shared among all coins received by PCGS on the same, first day.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2019  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Centsei to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the answers and link.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2019  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Final hammer price: $4,600 ($5,175 with the buyer's fee).

I'm skeptical it will retain that kind of value of time, but on top of the $2500 prize from PCGS, it's a nice haul for the seller.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Valued Member
United States
315 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree with billymac11, i'll be looking around for them in the wild. if I find one, great, i'll tag it & bag it.

also agree with jimbucks, i'd only give someone twenty-five cents for it.

it's not something i'll go out of my way for. same with the W cent. not very interesting, not intrinsically valuable...

the more junk the mint cranks out, the more I lean back in time to the liberty coins. liberty head, standing liberty, seated liberty... that's the good stuff to me.

...i wonder when the Modern Liberty series comes out... you know, Liberty Texting, CouchPotato Liberty, stuff like that..

(just kidding... I don't want to see any of that, lol)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11863 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

also agree with jimbucks, i'd only give someone twenty-five cents for it.

Then you'll never have one unless you come across one in change.

If you don't like it fine, but the value is clearly higher than 25c so it's just silly when people say things like this. If I said I'd only give a dollar for your car would that make the value of your car a dollar?
Edited by basebal21
05/16/2019 11:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3069 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the best offer I've had yet for my car!
Valued Member
United States
481 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For purposes of property tax in city/town...that car is valued at the sale price of a buck...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05