Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Purchase Need Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  11:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Yazul to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All

I am a new collector of ancient roman coins. I am planning to buy this coin from Ebay but have been warned that Ebay has many fakes. I appreciate if someone let me know whether this coin is genuine or not? Also please check seller's other coins and let me know if he is legit or not?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AET-TRAJAN...AOSw4FdcmP15

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AET-DIOCLE...AOSwVj5bXzqQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AET-NERO-A...AOSwaENbTM0p

Learn More...
United States
22279 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  01:04 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

The first two coins appear to be genuine but the price is high. The Nero tetradrachm I'm not so sure about. You might do better buying through Vcoins. Here is a link to them: https://www.vcoins.com/en/coins/ancient-2.aspx
Pillar of the Community
United States
622 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least two of the three coins linked in the op have been discussed here before. The eBay seller larissa_nuismatics seems to be the eBay handle of VCoins dealer Aeternitas Numismatics.
Edited by Kushanshah
04/18/2019 02:00 am
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  06:37 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a suggestion, but unless you know these specific coins very well and need them for a specific collection, a new collector might humbly consider not paying a lot until you find what you are interested in. You may find later you spent a lot on coins that are not from areas you end up collecting. So I am not saying are you interested in ancient roman coins. There are specific groups people focus on so when you move more into the collecting and decide you want coins of Antioch or Nero specifically, you will know all about the tetradrachm and be able to pay a price based on the going rate and take your time. Just a suggestion of course.
Learn More...
United States
70746 Posts
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Agree - way overpriced. At least you went ahead and posted here first. I didn't join the forum until I over payed for quite a few coins.
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yazul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. Good that I asked here so I did not get the fakes :) these days no one can trust ebay :(
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy off eBay all the time. Wasn't so confident at first, but, with experience comes confidence. I am able to spot obvious fakes, however, still have to get second opinions for some. I will only buy higher priced coins from trusted sellers and there are quite a few on eBay.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yazul-

Welcome to collecting ancient coins. I am a VERY long-time collector. If you are wanting to collect because you think they will increase in value- look somewhere else. This is a hobby of people that are mostly interested in history.

Looking at the coins that you showed that you are interested in- you have the ability to buy quality coins. My suggestion is to find a history spot that you like. Romans? Greeks? From what I see silver is something that you like. How about Roman denarius? Maybe start there. Or?

eBay is not the complete bad guy that you might assume from some post on this forum. You just need to be careful. Most of the coins on the eBay US are genuine. As a new collector- don't buy anything outside the US. Remember that you have 30 days to send it back. Show us what you got.

If you have $ to spend- look for something like the pic I am attaching (now on eBay) if you are interested in silver. Remember you have 30 days to send it back-

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yazul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Pendrak for suggestion. I am also a history enthusiast but at the same time I prefer buy things in right prices and genuine so it will be easier to sell them if needed later on. I am interested in coins of Persia and Rome. Specially I like bigger tetradrachm coins and coins of famous historical kings. For example I wish to get a Nero tetradrachm. This one I found seemed nice but one member has doubts about it. How do you guys know if these are fake or not? I like to learn so please let me know how did you find from the images that the Nero is fake?

Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2019  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of us long time collectors have a niche that we specialize in and can look at a coin and say- humm- something doesn't look right here. Also, some coins are more faked than others. Nero coins and tetradrachms from Antioch are in that group.

Take a look at the Sticky notes at the top of this page for some good info on fakes. Also, you can log in to the FORVM discussion Board and check out the Fakes Report listing literally thousands of known fakes.

www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2019  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yazul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Pendrak. But looking at this slabbed coin also on ebay, It looks very similar to the OP coin but seems NGC deemed it as authentic. This is where things get confusing for me. I sometimes feel the whole authentication is a subjective matter meaning if you show the same coin to 5 expert you might find some say the coin is authentic and some others say it is fake .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Syria-Anti...AOSwh5ZcezFQ
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1299 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2019  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yazul...

Quote:
I am a new collector of ancient roman coins
You could start at the lower end of the market and gain some experience before jumping into the more expensive and more prone to fake types such as the Tetradrachms? Just a thought..

Quote:
I am interested in coins of Persia and Rome.

Again there are nice silver coins to be had from Persia which wont break the bank..

Quote:
This is where things get confusing for me. I sometimes feel the whole authentication is a subjective matter meaning if you show the same coin to 5 expert you might find some say the coin is authentic and some others say it is fake .
It would depend on the 5 experts.....How long have you been collecting coins? And which famous historical kings are you interested in?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05