Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1876 Indian Cent With Crooked 'a'

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  10:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bingbingbing to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi- anyone ever seen an 1876 with this error?
Really neat ...
Thanks in advance for any info.

I decided to pull out another 1876 from my collection - sure enough, the '76 w/ the crooked 'a' is an MPD as well! Is the a related to the MPD?
Edited by bingbingbing
04/18/2019 11:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the CCF

Not quit sure what your referring to as an error,
but if it is the indentations around the A, those
are just contact marks, not an error, PMD
Also in the future, please supply a photo of the
full image properly oriented.
Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35543 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree on all counts.

to the CCF!
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bingbingbing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for responding - for some reason the 'A' looked off to me last night - I must have been seeing things : - ) LOL.

Thanks for the reply! What a neat forum - glad I found it!
Here's the full shot - I still think its an MPD, what say you?!

I just try to sleuth a pic of an 1876 MPS-001 - idianvarities has been my go to source, but they don't have that many pics :-( ... I can't find any pics of this coin. But, I held it up next to another '76 from my collection and here's that pic ...

I think I see the tip of the '1' lining up w/ the end of the collar of the '76 at the top of my pic, and not quite there on the '76 at the bottom of my pic - I also think the '7's' are not aligned - hence my guess that I have an '76 MPD-001? At least I'm hoping that is the case!
Edited by bingbingbing
04/19/2019 11:45 am
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bingbingbing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Incidentally, is there a name for the indentation on the bottom right of the bottom coin? I'm a rookie collector ...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15281 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you mean the area above MERICA, which does appear in your image to show some vertical displacement, the term would be "retained cud".
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
04/19/2019 12:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3443 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

I see that you've been posting a number of early small cents, seeking info on varieties. Given that interest, you really should consider acquiring Rick Snow's book(s) on these.

Here's his website: https://www.indiancent.com/

Consider the old adage .... "Buy the book before you buy the coin."
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17940 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And keep on looking
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05