Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 Cent In Brass? Does Anyone Know The Specs?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was the "gun" used: Thermo Niton XL3. It's what they use for testing Copper pipes and wires
Pillar of the Community
United States
816 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The TPG's have not publicized what alloy they consider brass. Over the years, through various conversations over several coins, I have come to think it is >10% zinc, but do not know for sure.

Chuck Moore once owned the one I posted on the first page of this thread. He told me it was 15% zinc +/-, but I never saw the actual test results and it has never been out of the PCGS holder to be tested again.
Edited by bosox
05/12/2019 8:24 pm
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My neighbor-friend is a Tokens and Medals dealer, since QEII Fillet Head issue days. He sees someone about 75mi away who tests all of what my friend needs testing. I don't know what is used, but he's agreed to take it and see what's what. I didn't say anything about this discussion; I just said that it "looks funny". Whatever it is, I'll post. I admit, that when I saw the amt. of Cu shown by the Niton instrument was well-above the 90% threshold, I lost interest. There appeared to be a chunk of Selenium, and trace elements after that. So, two people without anything at stake will test it and that will be that.
Edited by whatdowehavehere
05/12/2019 8:46 pm
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll post the PCGS label (when I find it) so that anyone can see what it looked like certified
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by whatdowehavehere
05/13/2019 6:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
816 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any results on this yet?
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not yet; probably next week
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10215 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
816 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any results yet?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1295 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be interesting to see what they grade it as this time
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2546 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to know if there actually is a vine break at 7. Even if there is a tiny one, it is a very early strike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
816 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2019  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At this point, I am guessing it is not brass.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
839 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2019  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@whatdowehavehere, Would you be willing to post high resolution photographs of the following specific areas of your coin?
the "T" in VICTORIA
the "GR" in GRATIA
the "G" in REGINA
Leaf 6
Leaf 13
The "9" in the date

I suspect that you have PC59-36a2, which is obverse die 36a and reverse die H2. If so, you may have die state 1.

Thanks!
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05