Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Cleaned With Only Soap, Water And A Very Fine Nylon Brush, Rotory Tool"

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
399 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  3:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SelectCoinCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't have the heart to message this seller...but I know someone here is up to the task. They are so proud of their cleaning job that they posted before and after pics, and included their method of choice.

I stumbled upon the listing after looking at the sellers 1935 silver dollar which suffered the same fate.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canadian-Ru...AOSwKhFcmlDs

Valued Member
Canada
399 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SelectCoinCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some pics for reference...

Pillar of the Community
United States
4174 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a shame. What initially got me, were the blue dots showing the dei (sic) cracks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2615 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He turned a $200 coin into a $5 coin with the "cleaning"... and he brags about it as GREAT for the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42146 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
957 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That seller deserves the 2019 Golden Facepalm Award.

Oh my.

It's just shiny shrapnel now.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11841 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ouch
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2272 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
He turned a $200 coin into a $5 coin with the "cleaning"

I think $5 would be optimistic...

message to seller sent,
PLEASE do do not clean, brush or especially "whiz" any coin with a rotatory tool.
Although it may "look better" (all shiny and such) you are actually destroying the coin's footprints in history, and as such have killed the collector value of the coin. It will take another 150 years to undo what you have done. PLEASE STOP.
As an avid collector of pre 1858 Canadian tokens I can assure you that you have taken a $200 (rare in this condition) token and turned it in to an (at best) $5 piece.
Before you touch any other coin please refer to many discussions at coincommunity.com, or at the very least post your coins RAW and see what happens.
yours sincerely,
one sad collector :(
Edited by Wade
04/23/2019 7:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16004 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of value has been lost, along with (probably) a nice patina.
However,
lots of detector finds recovered from ground burial have been cleaned with an old electric tooth brush.
Needed, simply to be cleaned enough to enable identification.

Nevertheless, I suspect that this item was never a detector find. Perhaps treatment with VerdiCare would have been better in this case, to retain a reasonable patina.
Pillar of the Community
United States
946 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah the bright side is there's no more verdigris on the coin

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13512 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What a shame.

My thought exactly.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Canada
399 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SelectCoinCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Wade, I couldn't resist and messaged them as well, in the most sincere words possible I informed them of their mistake and offered my advice anytime they need it. Unfortunately our efforts have somehow had ill-effect, the seller has INCREASED the price from $200CAD to $500USD($668CAD)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24635 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  11:01 am  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That seller has no brains at all! That poor coin! What a shame! The value of that coin has been pretty much completely destroyed, because of that seller's stupid actions!
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
Machine Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Split Plate Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/357614
2000 P LMC With Retained Struck Through error. http://goccf.com/t/357080
Edited by Errers and Varietys
04/24/2019 11:04 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
946 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably a troll at this point - sometimes people do this just to get a rise out of collectors, I saw it on this forum in the past
Valued Member
Canada
82 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
considering only the before picture...it's might seem that the 'original' condition appears dirty, corroded, possibly already cleaned, and so on....all negative labels it would have received in any case

I sure do not condone those actions at all

I can imagine that the seller is now amazed at the traffic their token is now receiving and considers that a sign of interest, the auction results will speak for themselves and the $500 is just wishful thinking and $5 appraisals given here will no doubt prevail
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1521 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  11:48 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can not fix stupid.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05