Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need To Identify This Coin

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Malaysia
55 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  09:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coinSupplement to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

18 mm
0,54 g
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11092 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems like a medieval silver coin with a cross pattee and cresents in all four quarters should be easy to find, but I'm coming up empty on numista.

Maybe Crusader?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
22287 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also believe it's a crusader coin but going through my limited reference material on crusader coins I wasn't able to find a match.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1884 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the style of lettering could be a clue?

It does not look like the blocky gothic style of western Europe or crusader states ...
And is the central device in the first photo a crown?
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This might help and it's downloadable too. If it's a coin of the crusades it's probably in this resource:
crusader coins PDF
Edited by travelcoin
04/26/2019 2:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
951 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Travelcoin: thanks for that link. That's a great resource!
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great, let us know if it helped.
Valued Member
United States
298 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You nailed it! I see that the first image is upside down and the legend is as you stated. To the first resopder, I now see the letters thanks to numisma "+M COMITISSA"
Thanks to both of you!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11092 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdz, I agree that the Crusader States are not a super match for the OP's coin. The only other region that seems to have a cross pattee with crescents in more than one of the quarters is medieval Hainaut/Valenciennes. At first I was thinking that this was perhaps the middle section of this two thirds gros:

https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotv...064bead81720

but the crescents are oriented incorrectly (and the rev is a crown rather than most of a horseman). Smaller silver from this same region (e.g. here: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces94853.html) also has four crescents, but again not facing the same way as on the OP's coin.

Sorry but this one has me stumped!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1884 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only other region that seems to have a cross pattee with crescents in more than one of the quarters is medieval Hainaut/Valenciennes

Still looks like the best lead thus far.

I briefly wondered if that obv device could even be a rampant lion if rotated counterclockwise 120 degrees or so , since this is found on some deniers from that area... But neither the cross, nor that design looks quite right for the published examples.
Valued Member
Malaysia
55 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2019  03:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinSupplement to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
still not find any...maybe it take some time
Valued Member
Malaysia
55 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2019  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinSupplement to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
usd 10 selling price, do you think that price will be okay?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11092 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2019  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cs, yes as an unidentified coin it probably isn't worth much more than $20 in my mind. For example, that was my max bid on a recent mail auction for an unidentified medieval. I personally like the challenge and twenty bucks seems like its worth the entertainment value of chasing it down. If it does turn out to be identifiable, then likely is worth 3-5 times that.
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Malaysia
55 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2019  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinSupplement to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks just to make sure that letgo price is reasonale
Pillar of the Community
United States
1884 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if this could be a later (17th/18th c.) Order of Malta coin or token, or a forgery of one?

This coin is not a match, but it has a Maltese cross with numerals in the angles. And the style of lettering is more modern like on the OP's coin (not Gothic as is found on the earlier crusader coins).
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces44730.html

Also, a common device on Malta coins is the head of John the Baptist on a plate (as in the biblical story, and on this coin: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces83857.html ). It is possible that this is the device in the first photo of the OP's coin.
Edited by tdziemia
05/06/2019 08:34 am
Valued Member
Malaysia
55 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  04:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinSupplement to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that is the most simlar .. thank ..
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05