Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does This Peace Dollar Look Like It's Been Cleaned?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
557 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  6:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add StJoeBlues to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I might have a chance to pick this up but it looks like there are lines on both the obverse and the reverse. What are your thoughts?

(BTW - spotting cleaned coins is one of my weaknesses - your help is greatly appreciated.)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42761 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see the lines on the obverse, and yet these pics don't seem to suggest an obvious cleaning in any way. On the other hand, the obverse fields are noticeably lighter, though dull, than the reverse fields. Do you have return privileges?
Edited by Coinfrog
04/25/2019 7:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
552 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks improperly stored to me. Circulated of course. Yet I agree with Coinfrog. Personally, I would put a maximum of $150-175 on it despite the mintage. A local coin shop has one in a brilliant lower mint state for $385. Which I might buy this weekend. But hey? If you like it....
Pillar of the Community
United States
4310 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it seriously lacks eye appeal.
And I can't tell if those lines on the obverse are the result of a cleaning or die polishing.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3371 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I concur with ballyhoo and kanga.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18731 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could find a much better one.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
557 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StJoeBlues to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog - it's part of a lot in a local auction, so no return privileges.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could roll the dice and hope a dip reveals nice surfaces. I don't think acetone will do much for it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no way for certain to tell from these photos if the coin has been cleaned. The coin could of had an old cleaning and retoned. The lines that frog noted could be from circulation or cleaning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
647 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can get a better one if you wait. Your call though...Eye of the beholder.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was cleaned in the past...parallel lines...re-toned (naturally?).

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9232 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To me it seriously lacks eye appeal.
And I can't tell if those lines on the obverse are the result of a cleaning or die polishing.

I agree, it is not an attractive coin so I'd pass.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
7575 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on how much you can get it for.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the reverse again, it's really weak. If you can hold out, do so...if it's a great price take it...but that's really a weak reverse.

KK
Valued Member
52 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paradimecoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the price but generally I would not go for it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05