Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Should I Break It Out?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  3:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DocSSavage to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this Indian Head cent 67/67 graded AU 50 which completes my collection. All of the others are in the folder. Should I break it out?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11013 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crack it out only if your other IHC are in an album , NOT a folder . Also if the other coins are close in grade to your AU .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Album, yes. Folder, no. Also, consider the grades of what you have already. You might not want this one to stick out too much either way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3268 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
67/67 overdate? double die?

Which TPG?

Value? Cost to slab again when/if needed to sell?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37947 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice from all. Unless your set is quite high-grade, I wouldn't crack it. How about some pics?
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DocSSavage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your advice. The grades vary and sorry it is an album. This is an $800 coin. Most others are not that valuable. I was planning on breaking it out anyways because I can improve the more common ones as time goes by. BTW, I just went to PCGS price guide for pricing and it mentions that complete set - with major varieties is worth about 3x more than the set - with date and mint mark. 67/67 is the only major variety I am familiar with. How do I look up what they are referring to?
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
sorry it is an album.

Quote:
This is an $800 coin.
I would be hesitant to break this one out. I have a $500 limit and the only reason it is that high is that I need two Seated dollars for my 7070. Otherwise, my limit is below $200).

In the end you have to be happy. Filling an album hole with the real coin is always my goal; therefore, a proxy/plug/etc. for a slabbed would not make me happy. If you cannot find this one cheaper, then crack away!
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DocSSavage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Im not sure how this will turn out. Sorry if bad pic. I will work on it.
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DocSSavage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haha JBuck, well said. Thanks!
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Haha JBuck, well said. Thanks!
You are very welcome.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2344 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless you have a high risk tolerance, leave the coin in the holder as there is too much much down side in cracking.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4123 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we see a picture of the entire slab? If you do break it out, take pictures of it (Obv. and Rev.) before you do. Print out the picture, 3x5. After you break it out, save the barcode and scotch tape it to the picture. Put the picture in a clear sleeve in the back of your album.
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory Of Those Members Who Left Us Too Soon.....
Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add collectinsince65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Leave it in the slab. No upside other than being beside others in your collection (folder / album). Unique coin. Keep it unique. Nice coin! Will sell better in the future in the holder.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37947 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tend to agree. OP's pic certainly sheds no light.
Pillar of the Community
United States
720 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're not the only one that faced this dilemma. I've got over 100 coins in slabs or special packages (mostly Canadian) that I really want to display with the rest of their 'family', but I've kept most of them the way I've bought them.

The only thing I do know is that if you're not sure right now, you can always change your mind down the road and crack them out; but if you change your mind in the future AFTER they are 'freed', it's not too easy to slab them back.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05