Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Genoa Grosso 1466-1476

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  4:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have had some fun over the last few days. I got my coins out of the bank vault. This one I just can't remember buying and It wasn't that cheap, from the price I wrote on the label. From the label Galeazzo Maria Sforza 1466-1476. According to the Auction house its Rare... but we all know what little that can actually mean. Does anyone have some extra info on it?
Learn More...
United States
22403 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting and historical coin. The Sforza's played a vast role in Italian and European history with a Holy Roman Empress as a family and the bitter hate that they had against the Borgia's.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2071 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am confused. I thought the Sforzas were Milanese.
Did Milan rule over Genoa in this period?

But at a quick glance, I see a legend in the left photo that begins (serpent) G S DUX etc. This serpent I think is the Sforza's insignia. The legend in the right photo looks like CONRAD REX ROM... Equally confusing as I do not see a COnrad as Holy Roman Emperor in the 15th century.

If time permits, I will dive into CNI.
Edited by tdziemia
05/05/2019 7:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1906 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After a period of French domination from 1394-1409, Genoa came under rule by the Visconti of Milan. Genoa lost Sardinia to Aragon, Corsica to internal revolt and its Middle Eastern, Eastern European and Asia Minor colonies to the Turkish Ottoman Empire. --wikipedia
Pillar of the Community
United States
2071 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins of Galeazzo Maria Sforza show up on p. 149-153 in CNI Volume III (Liguria). The 15 varieties of grosso are on p. 152-53. I believe your coin is #41, with the legends given as follows (my tanslations):
Obv :G.S.DVX.MEDIOLA.D.IAN (Galeazzo Sforza Duke of Milan (Mediolanum) and Duke of Genoa)
Rev: +.CONRAD.REX.ROMANO.IP: (Conrad King of Rome and Emperor?)

CNI gives no ranking of rarity as far as I can tell.
Edited by tdziemia
05/05/2019 8:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2071 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by tdziemia
05/05/2019 8:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all, most helpful. I must have overpaid for it ( Only slightly more than the Auction record posted here. I suspect I was attracted by the Milanese influence over Genoa
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xxmarkabyx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen this type or a similar type struck in gold. Really cool, but I prefer the ones where the dragon is clearer.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05