Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Book Contains Terrible Advice

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
173 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  4:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Unearthed my 1964 printing of the 1949 "Coin Collecting Merit Badge Series Boy Scouts of America". Page 34, "Caring for Your Coins" reads to wit : "Once you get an addition for your collection clean it. You can wash it with baking soda and water ..." Should have been "demerit badge" ; a bunch of 12 year olds gone wild on Grandpa's coins with Arm and Hammer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2435 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the scouts for you....I guess better at how to start a campfire..
Learn More...
United States
80942 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I seem to remember reading something like that when I got my merit badge (circa 1980).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43825 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that explains a lot!
Pillar of the Community
United States
768 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I physically cringed reading that.
Lincoln Cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Indian Head cents - 14 Holes / Jefferson nickels - Complete / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes / V nickels - 6 holes / Shield nickels - 5 Holes / Roosevelt dimes - Complete / Mercury dimes - 2 Holes; 1916D/1921P / Washington quarters - 4 holes / Standing Liberty quarters - 10 Holes / Barber quarters - 34 Holes / Kennedy halves - 6 Holes / Walking Liberty halves - 30 Holes / Franklin halves - 18 Holes
Other works in progress - 7070 / Canadian Cents / Canadian Nickels / SBA & SAC Dollars / Pres Dollars
Pillar of the Community
United States
760 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Literally just did a face palm.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16310 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost all ancient coins, when they are recovered from burial, need cleaning.
Almost all other coins never require cleaning.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18941 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please note the date of that. Back then everyone said to clean your coins. Gas for your cars had Lead in them back then too. Was no cures for many forms of illness. You could sit on a porch without getting shot. You could walk down streets at night safely. Lots of stuff was different then.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05