Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Service "Success"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  01:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TinyRetreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently made my first 2 grading submissions to PCGS. My return shipment had a horrible result ... high percentage of my coins came back "cleaned", "smoothed", altered ... so disappointing.

One submission (20 coins) was the $2-$300 value coins and the other (16) coins, was what "I" considered my more valuable, worthy of grading $1000-$2000 coins.

Questions: Can graders have a bad day ... get an "attitude" on certain submission packages ? I put values on the coins towards the high side just so I wouldn't be surprised by the fees. Could that produce a, "is this guy crazy" attitude ?

Of course the other possibility is that I can't spot "obvious" problems ... time for more education !
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  01:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you care to post pics of your coins (and grades) on this website, we will give you our opinions. Perhaps you did that before you submitted, but if not, many members will do that prior to submitting to gather opinions.

United States
26 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TinyRetreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea moving forward ... hindsight 20/20

Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  02:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Live and learn. Such is life. The forum members are here to help, although we do get a bit sarcastic from time to time (in good fun).
Pillar of the Community
United States
4727 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course graders can have a "bad day" just like anybody. Did they take it out on your coins? I certainly hope not!

Post a few pics of some of your slabbed "disappointments" and give us a shot at grading them. ( Do not show the grades or labels - Just the obv and rev of each coin.)

It's a learning experience! Don't get too discouraged!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42768 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics would be a good idea. If your inexperience is the problem, perhaps we can help.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12029 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes ,let us give you our opinions on your submissions you got back from PCGS . It would be very abnormal that PCGS ( highly recommended ) would put down those many coins by neglect .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12773 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
get an "attitude" on certain submission packages ?

No, but if you have a lot of coins that were doctored you won't get the benefit of the doubt on anything else in that submission. Just like if you have a lot of AT coins anything with color is probably going to get nuked in that submission.

Quote:
I put values on the coins towards the high side just so I wouldn't be surprised by the fees. Could that produce a, "is this guy crazy" attitude ?

It doesn't make any difference to the graders if you value it at $1 dollar or $1 million dollars, it's really just an insurance number.

The only time it would really get you in trouble with PCGS is if you are severely undervaluing things to try and get it into a cheaper tier like trying to put an 1851 Seated dollar into the economy tier.
Fire A.J. Preller
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TinyRetreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all of your insights ... I will make a point of "tapping in", to the experience here !
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Check einstem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget that the PCGS process (as well as with NGC) assigned MULTIPLE GRADERS to each coin, who independently grade the coin and are not privy to each-others grades. If their grades don't match, then it is sent to yet another grader for review.

Here is a video and description of the PCGS Grading Process:

https://www.PCGS.com/PCGS-grading-process-video br /

So, there is almost no chance of a single grader having a "bad day" because there are still independent grades by the other graders for the same coin. Now, graders are human beings, and as with anyone they are not infallible or perfect, and although much of grading is 'technical', a certain aspect of grading is "subjective". But that is the purpose of assignment multiple graders to the same coin that don't know the other's grades - it reduces the chance of a single person "having a bad day". But I have met and spoke with many current and former "professional graders", and they really take their job seriously and try their best. But some of them look at HUNDREDS of coins a day. Of course they will miss a few things - which is why they try to reduce the chance of this by using multiple graders.

As suggested by others, best bet is to post high quality photos of your coins BEFORE submitting and soliciting advice from the CCF members. But you will seen that even with the CCF, there will often be great debate and variety over certain coins.

The reality is that some aspects of grading (such as "luster" and "eye appeal" and "Color" are VERY difficult to do via photos. That is why the graders always rotate and move the coin at different angles under lights and examine different parts with "loops" to get a grade. It's sometimes hard to grade certain coins just from a few photos. But the CCF members can certainly call-out obvious issues and you can usually get a good "feel" for what a coin is likely to grade.

Michael
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18731 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2019  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just remember that those grading services are made up of people. and people are people and they make mistakes, errors, etc. just like you and me.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15996 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2019  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, there is almost no chance of a single grader having a "bad day"

No, but they can all have "Monday".
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05