Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is My 1887 2 Pounds Victoria A Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  4:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It weighs 15.042 grams

Caliper measurement of the diameter @ 28.44 mm

Micrometer measurement of the thickness @ 3.16 mm

weight : 15.042 grams

While I have not found a reliable source for the thickness, I have for the weight/diameter, and the coin's weight is almost off by 1 gram.

I will post pictures shortly, but please provide insight as to whether the coins thickness, diameter as well as weight are off or on point.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok Here are the pictures:

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2442 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight of the gold coins at that time was very carefully controlled. 1 gram under would have been unacceptable to people at the time.

The coin does not look right from the picture. The colour looks off and the design seems a bit mushy.

That being said I do not have a real one in hand for comparison.
Edited by oriole
05/13/2019 5:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4949 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and

My first thoughts are that there seems to be some grey/silver metal showing through, such as under the letters RE of 'REG', indicating that possibly the coin is made of a base metal with gold plating that is wearing off. The details on your coin also seem thicker than they should be - compare the horse's reins and the designer's initials B.P. on the reverse and the ear ring on the obverse to my specimen, which has some damage on the obverse but was bought from a reliable British dealer who sells numerous gold coins.

You can also check the photos on this site:
https://www.bullionbypost.ie/2-poun...unc-ms62-63/
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the quick reply. Not only the weight, but the details seem off to me as well, especially on the reverse.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks NumisRob,

I have some sovereigns and this coin seemed off to me the moment I took it out of the package... I did buy it off ebay so I am starting the return process now. I've yet to attempt a return, so hopefully it turns out ok.

In this case I should have known better, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. The crazy part, I asked the seller to both weigh the coin and vouch for it's authenticity before I would purchase. He said it was "original but ugly" and weighed 16 grams. Both outright lies, unless a weight of less than 5 hundredths of a gram past 15g means you round up to 16g.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1344 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peter1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a wrong un

https://www.google.com/search?q=188...BMze_9CE1arM:

Check the V in Victoria
Pillar of the Community
United States
716 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
unless a weight of less than 5 hundredths of a gram past 15g means you round up to 16g.

Of course that is what you do with gold coins! Didn't you know that? How could you slander such an honest seller? /sarcasm
Lincoln Wheat Cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Indian Head cents - 14 Holes / Jefferson nickels - Done / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes / V nickels - 6 holes / Shield nickels - 5 Holes / Roosevelt dimes - Done / Mercury dimes - 2 Holes; 1916D/1921P / Washington quarters - 8 holes / Standing Liberty quarters - 10 Holes / Barber quarters - 34 Holes / Kennedy halves - 7 Holes / Walking Liberty halves - 39 Holes / Franklin halves - 18 Holes
Other works in progress - 7070 / Canadian Cents / Canadian Nickels / SBA & SAC Dollars / Pres Dollars
Learn More...
United States
70861 Posts
New Zealand
11 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with everyone else, that coin looks dodgy, Chinese coin mills again.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15255 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly, lots of fakes of the 1887 £2 were made, and many of those in good quality gold.
If the weight is low by as much as 1 gram, then it is almost certainly a gold fake. Variations in design detail suggest 'fake'.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8120 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05