Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Had A Heart Breaking Call From RCM Customer Service Rep

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2308 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  11:58 pm Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received an unusual call from the RCM (not my rep) basically asking why I wasn't buying coins anymore. That's the first time for me. I could sense the desperation in the voice. I explained that my priorities have shifted as I am nearing retirement (which is only partly true). That bought me a cheap ticket out of the conversation. But I didn't want to expand on the root causes.

I'm sure the RCM is visiting this site regularly, so they should know.

I have a feeling that the numbers don't look good for 2019.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Valued Member
Canada
83 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CurrencyLooker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, I never heard something like this before.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9816 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  01:34 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That seems like a desparate action. Are they tanking?
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
05/15/2019 01:34 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2567 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might have been more merciful if had told them more-but maybe you don't care any more.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
671 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the last annual report, RCM said they are shifting focus to start minting more foreign coins and away from domestic NCLT.
Valued Member
Canada
186 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also noticed the slower selling trend.

I think the economy is a big factor. Housing prices are tanking. Many people became rich in this country due to the booming real estate sector in the past. When the sector cools down, they will have less money to buy luxury things, such as expensive coins. Same for people in the oil industry.

Also, Canadians are more in debt and paying more taxes this year. My bi-weekly paycheck is $300 less this year, because I'm forced to contribute more to the "enhanced" Quebec pension plan.

Personally, I could afford any coins that cost less than $10,000 in the past, thanks to my part-time gig. However, I can no longer do so because I recently ended that gig.

I noticed this year's coins generally have lower mintages and higher quality than those in 2017 and 2018. I give a thumb-up to RCM for doing this. Hopefully, more collectors will start to purchase coins soon.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7516 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whose heart was broken?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
370 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add barriecarson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received an email from the RCM just last week. The subject title was "did we do something wrong". The email went on than I hadn't purchased from them in over a year, that I'm a valued customer, etc, etc...

Then the big moment...... I was offered $10 off my next order of $99 or more!

Email deleted.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05