Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Curious Radiate Head Left Maximianus - Ancient Or Fantasy Piece?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2231 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  10:36 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was following the auction on this silvered Maximianus radiate. The seller was not sure what it was.

The obverse legend lettering looks modern to me. Is this some strange ancient coin or a modern fantasy piece?

Opinions are most welcome.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Coin-I-d...3.l10137.c10

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5527 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't even look remotely right for a 3rd century piece - lettering is far too clear and portraiture is wrong style. I'd say modern fantasy.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
United States
927 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin Paul.

The type exists for Maximianus except for the left facing bust. This should be an emission from Rome, but I agree, the lettering and surfaces look a bit odd to me.
Edited by Biancasdad
05/16/2019 12:55 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11092 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the letterforms look off, at least compared with the Roman coins that I have seen.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
22287 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  01:35 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, doesn't look right.
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  04:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pilegicvs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also saw the coin when listed for sale by one of our esteemed members. Sold for a good price - so several bidders must have thought it was 'something'. The "circle" on the reverse was most curious. Seen from a distance, it reminded me of one of those round price stickers. In the close-ups seems like some sort of metallic, burned out area...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2978 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  06:23 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks old but not ancient
The depiction of the hair and beard is wrong for a Roman
Perhaps some sort of Napoleonic era reproduction/fantasy type token
Coins of the Gallic Empire and Tetrarchy period are common enough in France
Someone learning the fine arts of fakery
I think it has some worth ...... but not too much !
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks old but not ancient

Had this on my watch list as it is a very interesting coin. I agree with RVFVS, I think a gold plated early replica. I don't think it would've been plated in ancient times as it wouldn't pass for an Aureus.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the buyer oddly enough wrote to me and thought it was not real before the auction ended but I explained there was interest and it would not be fair to the people who were bidding and had discussed this with me already for me to pull the auction at the last moment. I listed it was an oddity and assumed it was a fouree of some kind and talked with people about it as being such potentially. When the buyer did purchase the piece I asked him why if he did not feel it was real and he said, "I bought the coin since I am sure that it is fake, but since I have never seen the type, I want to see it in hand. I will also send it to David Sear for his opinion." That was certainly new to me as no one had done that before so I reminded him I have a lifetime guarantee and there is no time limit if he wants to return it. I invite you folks to look at the rest of the photos as I took some very serious closeups in the listing of the encrustation. I am probably two hours into looking at it and I hope wherever it ends up it is enjoyed there as well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123761052383
Edited by louisvillekyshop
05/16/2019 8:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2231 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  12:05 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to hear what David Sear would have to say about this interesting piece.
Paul Bulgerin
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am sure the coin is a modern fake, but bought it because I have not seen the type before and want to see it in hand, then it will go in my black cabinet. Probably no need for Sear certification as I expect it will look even "faker" in hand.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2231 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please do share your thoughts on it once you have received it.
Paul Bulgerin
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  10:04 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Victor;

When you state you are sure this is a modern piece, I don't think you are considering the suggestion it might be quite antique in perhaps the hundreds of years as some have suggested on this string. That wear on the wreath seems quite hard for me to consider being made by a counterfeiter recently and again, one would think a coin made by a counterfeiter would be for a reason to profit and be made to look in a condition that would command some value. Had this coin been made just over a hundred of years ago this might explain the wear and corrosion. Had the coin been recently been made to intentionally look this horrible I can't see the profit margin for the counterfeiter and the work to create the wear just seems prohibitive. But that stated I sold the coin as an oddity, as I found it interesting, and normally it is obvious that in my 7500 past sales people have had a positive experience. Thinking this over, and talking to my wife, if the customer is not having a positive experience with the transaction I am not doing my job. So I have refunded your payment and of course the coin is now donated for your study. Perhaps as an expert on the period you might find a use for this item in a presentation along with other oddities and indeed not genuine coins that were produced to mimic actual coins of the field you work with.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2978 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To most of us "antiquaries" anything post 1453 (May 29th !) is just modern ....... stuff
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1299 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just wanted to add to this thread that if there were more honest sellers on ebay such as LV there would be a lot less problems in general!
The seller was quite clear in his identification, the buyer new what he was buying, communication between both was excellent, what the seller finally did..'Hats off'... what more do we want?...Paul
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2231 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could not agree more.

And, as an added bonus, since both the seller and buyer are CCF members, the rest of us get to learn more about this interesting piece instead of it disappearing into the eBay void.

I especially hope to find out where that dirt/encrustation may have come from.
Paul Bulgerin
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05