Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Alexander Drachm Purchased

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
2341 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  09:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Didn't own any ancients before. Because my grandfather came from Greece I decided to buy an inexpensive version of this era. Supposed to be from Abydus from 301 to 297 BC. Reverse is pretty weak and I guess that's why the price was low. $28 shipped. Not sure if thats a good or bad buy.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11492 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jerryc39, I really excited for you to be exploring ancient coins. For this piece, the surface is quite porous. Did you pick it up on eBay or vcoins? Or elsewhere?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2341 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bought it from a cointalk member. He bought it from coin auction I believe.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11492 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok that should be good news. Do you have the diameter and weight? Thx.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to own one of these, but because they are faked so much, I've been afraid to pull the trigger on a good bargain. If this is authentic, you have a great coin at great price. That said, I am not liking the porosity and the smoothness of the coin as well (especially on the reverse).

I only say this because I was going to buy one very similar to yours and it was deemed a fake. But provenance is a key factor in determining authenticity and in your case, the coin is off to a good start.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2341 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin is 17mm and about 3.7 grams. Supposed to have paperwork from Savoca
Learn More...
United States
22349 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope that I'm wrong but IMO the overall appearance of this coin just doesn't look right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2341 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a rookie when it comes to these type of coins. Supposedly Savoca which is in Germany I think guarantees authenticity of all their coins according to the person I am buying from.
Valued Member
France
158 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Check ancient67's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ancient67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Echizento, I have some worries about the authenticity. The style doesn't look right...I don't like to raise doubts but I think that this coin needs to be carefully checked
Pillar of the Community
United States
2341 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason I posted about this coin was to get some feedback on it since I am inexperienced in this type of coin. When the gentleman I bought it from said that the coins authenticity was covered by a well known coin company in Europe I felt it was worth the $28 gamble that it was legitimate. Now I am not so sure
Pillar of the Community
United States
2341 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.biddr.ch/auctions/savoc...550&l=561341. this was the auction listing the seller to me provided
Learn More...
United States
22349 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel a little better now that I've seen his pictures of the coin, from them the coin appears to be genuine. Though I find it odd that the condition between the two side vary so much.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2341 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the difference in wear comment. Very strange
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2205 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
same dies (or casting host). but not the same coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
2341 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it is the same coin. you can see small imperfections in same places on both sets of pics.
Learn More...
United States
22349 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  01:12 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be the same coin IMO, I think a better picture without the black back ground would help to see that.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05