Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Shot In The Dark... 1864 F/E

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
37 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  10:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Obone2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone,
Thought I'd share a recent purchase of mine, should be arriving sometime early next week. Purchased in a foreign slab in a foreign option, what attracted me was the designation of "F/E". Grade roughly corresponds to a choice AU using the Sheldon scale. Never seen a variety graded so high, if it is even the correct variety. Looking forward to seeing this in hand.
Canada
37 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Obone2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bigger Pic here...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1406 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if that is one its hard to tell from your pictures
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7672 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been looking so hard for E/F I didn't know there was F/E, but sure enough that coin looks like it says NFW BRUNSWICK.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  03:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Filled die?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4703 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find, congrats
Secret Santa look here to see what I have.

http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1674 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think the variety everyone is thinking of is the E/F variety which is on the obverse legend where it should read :FD for the last 2 letters but the variety reads :ED as seen in a pic of my coin below (I've been lucky enough to have found a couple) your coin I believe is just a grease filled die
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7672 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grease filled die.
For sure.
But who are we to question a TPG.
-from PCGS website
Canada
37 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Obone2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh well, thats too bad. I'll take a closer look when it arrives.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7672 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I blow up the pics it looks like the E may have taken a hit.
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2280 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the "grading company" is owned by a coin dealer.

"conflict of interest" doesn't begin to describe my feelings about that situation

a quick google search will enlighten you as to how they do business...
Edited by Wade
05/21/2019 8:11 pm
Learn More...
Canada
8680 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know of three mint state F/E varieties, the finest being MS-64RB

https://www.PCGS.com/valueview/mint...618772&h=pop
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2280 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i could be wrong, but isn't the OP referring to the E in nEw brunswick? appearing as an F instead? (F/E)

if so then I suspect this is a made up variety by a made up TPG

if it is referring to the recognized E/F variety then (even with the poor photos) I dont see it at all
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2623 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I think that it IS the E in "New" that the OP was talking about .. I just think that the discussion drifted a tad.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2280 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it IS the E in "New"

so again, a made up variety by a made up TPG.

stunning token, but as it's an 1864 it isn't a tough one to find.
just hope obone2003 didn't pay a premium for the (non)variety
Canada
37 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Obone2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help everyone. That's too bad, but I think I still got a decent price. I paid $200 cad for an uncirculated example, and it just arrived. Luster is amazing, and has a superb look to it.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05