Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1935 A Short Snorter Blue Seal 1 Dollar Bill

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  4:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Igotit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received this bill from my mother years ago. It was handed down to her that supposedly came from a father she never knew a he was claimed to be a sargent or general. What I am wondering is if it's worth having the signatures authenticated.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You don't give us any details of what you want. If those signatures are those of the 1927 NY Yankees, go for it. If it was just a bunch of GIs making a keepsake for a buddy, fugetaboutit.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9991 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  12:10 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right. Are there any signatures of note*?

*pun intended
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
05/20/2019 12:11 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2260 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  04:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you able to provide a better photo ?
Edited by SteveInTampa
05/20/2019 04:52 am
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4601 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Properly oriented pictures of both sides of the note would be helpful.

For more info on short snorters do a Google search for "The Short Snorter Project"

There is lots of info about them there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
645 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The notation at the top left of the note is PB2Y-3 which is a Coronado flying patrol boat bomber. The signatures are likely Navy so there is probably not a sergeant or general among them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40486 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good observation. OP - can you show us a closer view of the note, right side up?
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The PB2Y Coronado had a crew of 10 and it appears there are a lot more than 10 names on the note.

An alternative might be that these names were somehow involved in the design or manufacturing of the aircraft. Did your mother or her father ever live in the San Diego area, particularly just before WWII? Consolidated, the company that made the Coronado was based in San Diego.

If those names can be linked to the design of the aircraft it might give the note some desirability to WWII collectors.
Edited by HGK3
05/20/2019 5:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9991 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good info lettow and HGK3.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igotit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know that Ray Ellis is one of the signatures. From what I found online he was the last survivor of a battle from ww2. R.i.p.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igotit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
4601 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are many shortsnorters out in coinland. YOU have to take the time to decipher the signatures and figure them out yourself.

Value is dependent on whether you got famous people on it and who is willing to pay for it.

Posting pictures that are properly oriented helps us to help you. Full size helps. Front and back helps.

Visit shortsnorterproject.org for more information. Good luck!
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  02:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igotit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
4601 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On values, I have two $1 WW2 era shortsnorters I liked that I paid about 65$ each for at a coin show up north a few years ago.

One was signed by Humphrey Bogart and his USO entertainment troupe while visiting the North Africa Theater of operations. I did have some help from Forum members here deciphering some of the other names on the note and finding an old newspaper article about Bogarts USO African adventure.

The other was signed by a bunch of WW2 pilots that were ferrying planes and/or transferring from the mainland to England through Gander Newfoundland. It's heartbreaking to search their names in the records and see that some only flew a few missions and were killed after arriving in England. The original reason I purchased that note was because it was also signed by Treasury Secretary Henry Morgentheu whose faciimile signature was also on the note.

I have one other note that I thought was a WW2 era shortsnorter that turned out to be more of a sports related item. It is a series 1928 red seal $1 United States note with about 25 signatures across the front and back. It took a while for me to finally figure it out but that note has the signatures of Johnny Rawlings and ladies from The All American Girls Baseball League including Ruth Richards, Pepper Paire, Jane Stoll, Dottie Hunter, etc. (Rockford Peaches). Those red seal $1 notes were purposely issued and circulated mainly in Puerto Rico in the 1940's and those ladies played a lot of exhibition baseball games in the islands during the Winter months in the 1940's.

I have no idea when, where or how much I paid for that note but to me it is priceless!

You just have to take your time and search the internet one name at a time. Eventually you'll score with one name and that sometimes opens the door to everything else. Prices can be all over the map with these things though. Good luck!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05