Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wax-like Film Cleaning ?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
712 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have another, bought at the same time with the same issue. Posted it earlier in the `Most Recent Canadian Coin Purchases`thread. My last thought is that if it won`t affect grading and only a little eye-appeal improvement, then I`d just as soon leave them as is. Maybe get them graded to see what comes back. If however getting them cleaned would bump up the grade as well, I might bid for the pro-cleaning to be on the safe side and then the grading.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
712 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@PacficCoin, 1960NYGiants - Yeah that stuff is not for my coin. If you read the specs: This cleaner is designed for proof, mint state, and almost uncirculated coins & Not designed for heavily tarnished or dirty coins.

I think if I used that stuff on these, they would get that bright orange/red shny new copper look. It would totally destroy them in my opinion. I saw one of these cleaned on eBay selling as mint state but obviously cleaned and it shows.
Valued Member
Canada
327 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  01:37 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jeez people it's not rocket science. Use some common sense and cents. Use average, circulated, dirty 1940's/50's cents and try the various methods. Very cheap way to find your own results. Use different things you already have in the house just to see what they do. Trial and error on cheap stuff.

When I was a kid in the 1950's, you cleaned stuff with baking soda and made a paste, like VIM. Hey, in my 20's, I tried it on a black 1880's 5 cent silver. Sure took off the black, but sure made a lot of terrible scratches all over, lesson learned, won't do that again. And so on.

If the coin has so much dirt that you are worried about scratches, well, you let it soak for bit then use the brush like you are brushing two hairs on a baby's head, not your teeth . The oily spray will wash the dirt away. It's gentler than using a hawthorn - I have smoothed some lightly-corroded areas using a thorn. In my 69 years of life I've cleaned a lot of things, including a baby's butt , so a little something on a coin is numismatist's play.
Edited by TerryT
05/26/2019 01:56 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
712 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TerryT - Well if you had the soft touch to clean a baby`s butt, then maybe you`re the guy I`m looking for...lol
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
TerryD: And A TOOTHBRUSH WILL NOT SCRATCH BRONZE

I'm sorry TerryD, but that's not true. To convince you, the best way is to test it on a Proof coin. You will see the multitude of scratches that occur, no matter how flexible the toothbrush used. Any act of friction leaves traces. On low grade coins it doesn't matter, but the higher the grade, the more likely it is to be problematic.

Otherwise for TaeKenDo, I would try soaking in acetone, 99% rubbing alcohol, or hot water. And if it doesn't work, I'll leave the token as it is.

Ah, and this variety is not listed by Courteau. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the variety Courteau #245 for the obverse, and Courteau #257 for the reverse. This is the fourth token of this variety that I see.
Edited by ainsivalavie
05/26/2019 12:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
712 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ainsivalavie - I concur, I might try a quick acetone dip if I think there`s no underlying pitting, otherwise they`ll stay as is.

Interesting about the variety, would you have a resource that I could search out to learn more ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
712 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The other I bought with this is an 1837 Lower Canada 2 Sous Penny Token in a very nice grade but basically the same issue.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
27597 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is this,I have not used it https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Co...cectupt=true
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
712 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John1 - Thanks, saved in my watch list. Will look into it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2205 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1837 City Bank is possibly the nicest I've ever seen.

Nearly perfect rims & fields, lettering on ribbon nice and deep, plus razor sharp details on every device. Wouldn't be surprised if it came back proof.

I've staring at it for about 15 minutes now, and it just keeps giving more to notice as tome ticks by.

Do you mind if I ask what you paid for both? (PM me if you don't want it public). If I had to guess the '52 @ $200ish and the '37 @ $300ish
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@TaeKenDo: Interesting about the variety, would you have a resource that I could search out to learn more ?

Here is my book on the subject:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/332773443168

Otherwise, there is also Courteau's original work, but it is not obvious to the uninitiated:
https://nassaumills.ca/wp-content/u...nada1934.pdf

Quote:
Wade: Do you mind if I ask what you paid for both? (PM me if you don't want it public). If I had to guess the '52 @ $200ish and the '37 @ $300ish

These tokens was proposed on eBay about ten days ago... I had also bid on Bank of Upper Canada token. But the price had gone too high for me... I thought at first this token had been cleaned.

The PC-6B2 is not necessarily rare in high grades, but it still requires patience to find an interesting token.
Edited by ainsivalavie
05/26/2019 4:16 pm
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Otherwise, the seller use a grazing light (I don't know if is the good expression in english for «Lumière rasante»?) to take the pictures. That's why the details seem so much in relief. But if I'm not mistaken, the LC-9A1 is very beautiful.
Edited by ainsivalavie
05/26/2019 5:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2205 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ainsivalavie's book is well worth the price.

ains, I can't seem to find either in eBay completed listings using both date and/or catalog number, could you help out with some more info?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4074 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
photography is not sad to say...lol

The picture is what first jumped out at me. Sorry it's not yours.
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory Of Those Members Who Left Us Too Soon.....
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wade: I can't seem to find either in eBay completed listings using both date and/or catalog number, could you help out with some more info?

For the 1 Penny 1852
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BANK-OF-UPP...223486293316

For the 1 Penny 1837
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/LOWER-CANAD...223486241336

I hope you don't have a problem with that TaeKenDo. If yes, please excuse me...
Edited by ainsivalavie
05/26/2019 7:10 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05