Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

More Civil War Era Bullets Found

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2271 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  11:22 am Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Last fall, while visiting my mother in western Wisconsin, I went out detecting with my best friend. At a local park, at the base of a hill, we found what was probably a Civil War era shooting ranging; digging up three and two ringers

Here is that post:

http://goccf.com/t/331649

This past week I went back for another visit with my mother and my buddy and I got out again. We explored the hillside and found more bullets.

There was a scarlet fever hospital on this site in the 1860s, so we figure that is when the target practice took place.

Some of the bullets were only an inch or two down, but others, as the photo with my pinpointer shows, were over eight inches.

It was my first time out detecting in about two months and we made a full day of it.

The photo of the flattened Minie Ball shows the power these slugs carried.

Paul Bulgerin
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tampabaygrampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice bits of history you have saved. Congratulations.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3701 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There was a scarlet fever hospital on this site in the 1860s, so we figure that is when the target practice took place.
Yikes! I don't even want to decipher that. Good digs tho!
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
Canada
65 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
those big hole muzzleloader bullets sure do ring in especially the deep ones
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9164 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this near Prairie du Chien?
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37864 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Such a cool pic and good research on your part. Really miss my old detecting days.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool historical artifacts!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2271 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, it's not near Prairie du Chien.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2271 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I don't need to be so secretive. My mother lives in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
Paul Bulgerin
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05