Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Light Green Seal Notes!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39350 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  4:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Most collectors of early small size paper money keep an eye out for the so-called "Light Green Seal" (LGS) FRN notes and generally agree that these are more attractive than the "Dark Green Seal" (DGS) versions. The change from dark to light was made during the early 1930s and then back to a pale blue green shade in late 1938.

It's a confusing subject because, as described by Schwartz and Lindquist in the 10th Edition of their Standard Guide, the change from dark to light was progressive and "collectors have been able to assemble sets...with many graduations in color" for such notes - some yellowish-green and others less so but still much lighter than the DGS notes. Purists tend to use the LGS designation only for those with a vivid yellow-green color, but sometimes one must rely on High/Low serial number observations for confirmation with often head-scratching results. Older TPG holders can even be wrong.

I'll lead off with one of my favorites, a 1928-A $100 LGS note from the St. Louis district. This example is crisp new with deep embossing and reverse margins that, while wide right, are still broad enough to push this toward a 65 grade I think. It's a tough note to value, though - the Friedbergs don't even give the 1928-A LGS issues their own FR numbers, as they do with the 1934 Series, and there hasn't been a CU example at Heritage for almost 4 years.

Edited by Coinfrog
05/27/2019 9:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2210 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The shade of green assigned to early, small-sized FRN's is lost on me. Some collectors have a good handle on dates, serial numbers and denominations, and I missed the boat altogether. I believe I own one LGS note and it wasn't on purpose.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39350 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is definitely a LGS. As I say, a complicated subject, and I fear few members care much about these oddities.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice notes, both of you! I've always been confused by the subject so hopefully we'll get some clarification here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FWIW

Pillar of the Community
United States
2210 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I probably know more about Quantum Physics than I do about the various stages and variations of the color green used for early small-sized FRN's. I've heard of yellow green seal, vivid yellow green seal, blue green seal, pale blue green seal, vivid yellow green olive seal and don't forget good old dark green seal & light green seal. The standard guide, used by most small sized collectors, makes an attempt of showing the different shades used on the back cover of the book.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck if you suffer from color blindness.
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one cashhound!
Learn More...
United States
74976 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39350 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LGS notes from the 1828-A/B Series tended to be scarcer than their DGS counterparts, but by the time the l934 Series came out, the situation was reversed. This is a good example:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2210 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2019  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know if color variations were a topic of discussion back when the notes were being issued ?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39350 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2019  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There must be further reading on this. I'll contact Scott Lindquist and see if he has any input.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4723 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2019  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are my contributions:

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Learn More...
United States
74976 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39350 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2019  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@barryg's notes illustrate the range of colors and interpretation issues very well. Only the 1928-B $10 among these is considered a true Light Green Seal according to the Schwartz/Lindquist cataloging system.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4723 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2019  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I don't care what the "experts" say. Compared to this seal:

I'm still going to call this one "light green":

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05