Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$1 L Series Star Note. Run Of 80k

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  5:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Orangejhuhyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this bill in change the other day. I was hoping to get any information about the collectability of this bill and possibly its value? And what would you guys suggest I do with it next? (Keep, grade, etc.) Other than the website that told me its rare theres was little other info. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In this condition, probably not worth saving.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2353 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a keeper.

Replacement note runs typically don't come much shorter than this. Like the OP stated, 80K is a very short run. Looks to be in VF condition and would probably sell on eBay for $20-$50 even in its condition.

It's insane the money I've been offered for mine.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42920 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good eye and congrats!

to the Paper Money Forum!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really? I should start looking for these then!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10151 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and congrats on a cool star note!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where are you getting info that the run is 80k? I don't think that's correct. Otherwise how would you explain the serial number on this?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42920 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh boy, oh boy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
579 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Where are you getting info that the run is 80k? I don't think that's correct.

There are 5 runs in this group?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4317 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My source shows it as a common L/* note.
CU listed at $5.
Save it if you like star notes but there's no value above face.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orangejhuhyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Theres an online resource for star note serial numbers, thats how I got this info
Pillar of the Community
United States
1120 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like folks might be confusing run size with total number printed.

There were 5 runs for these 2013 L* notes that totaled 12,880,000 notes (which explains why jimbucks can have that pack of a hundred with the serial number shown).

The FIRST run was a small run of only 80,000 notes (which explains the rarity shown and Steve's comment about the run).

The OPs note would probably have a premium to someone who is collecting notes based on the run size.

Edited by BadDog
06/10/2019 11:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2353 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  02:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The OPs note would probably have a premium to someone who is collecting notes based on the run size.

Correct.

If you're just trying to complete a District set of replacement notes, then a 2013 San Francisco star is the most common. But, if you're a star note RUN collector, then these are like gold. The series key is Kansas City (J*).

It also happened with the series 2006 $1's. Run #3 of New York with a print run of 32K. My understanding is the BEP press operator mis-read the work order to print a standard run of 320K, and only printed 32K. This series key star is St. Louis (H*).

Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05