Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Improving Image

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  12:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My images are not coming out sharp. I have tried adjusting the focus both manually and automatically but no difference.
Here is an example:

Here is my setup:

I am still very much a novice with this stuff so I apologize in advance if my questions appear juvenile or dumb.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"When angry count to ten. If very angry, count to one hundred." - Thomas Jefferson
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
"Coins are like potato chips, you can't have just one." - Anonymous

Edited by JJuliano
06/15/2019 12:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4130 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see what you're saying. But man, you are way ahead of most folks here with your pictures and setup! I'm no expert. I'm wondering if it's to much light.

I just use a cheap digital microscope.

Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory Of Those Members Who Left Us Too Soon.....
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28078 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What lens are you using? Try using only one light at 12k position.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3092 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What lens aperture setting are you using? Also, what focal length (zoom) are you using? I think the macro function on these kit lenses works best at 55mm, and I suggest using Aperture Priority (Av) mode, with aperture set to f8 for Dollars.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinphotofan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What lens aperture setting are you using?
This was the question I had when I first saw the post.
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What lens are you using?

Here is a detailed pic(s) of the lens. Hope it helps you.

I am using Aperture Priority(AV). Aperture value: 5.6

Quote:
Also, what focal length (zoom) are you using?
Ignore the setting you see on the lens. I don't believe I was using that as it moved when I removed the lens from the body.

Thanks in advance.

I ought to use my iPhone camera. These were pretty darn good pics.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"When angry count to ten. If very angry, count to one hundred." - Thomas Jefferson
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
"Coins are like potato chips, you can't have just one." - Anonymous

Pillar of the Community
United States
1028 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the lens has a stabilizer switch that is set to on. That's typically for hand held use and I'd switch it to off when using a copy stand.

The specs say that lens has a minimum focusing distance of 9.8in. It's hard to tell from your photo if the camera's sensor is at least that far away from the coin. Looks like it's close to that though. Is the camera indicating it's in focus when you take the photo?

Assuming you're far enough away from the coin, and since you're already using Av mode at your max aperture of 5.6 (and I'm assuming a focal length of 55mm), if changing the stabilizer setting doesn't help then you might be doing the best you can with that kit lens.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3092 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 18-55 kit lens is capable of superb pics at dollar size. My suspicion is that the lens was not in critical focus. Try moving a little further away from the coin.

Are you using Live View? The blurriness may be due to mirror slap. If you go into Live View, you get rid of both Mirror Slap and Shutter Shake, and the image will be sharper. But what I'm seeing is much worse than I'd expect from either of these problems. It just looks like it's slightly out of focus.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
6906 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with all advice above. Switch off IS when on a copy stand. Try moving the camera a tiny bit farther away. The zoom may be creeping causing the camera to change focus, gaffer tape may help hold it up, but I'd shot at the 55mm so it should be extended all the way out and then it won't creep. To keep the camera perpendicular to the coin, check all your angles, I start with my level on my iPhone, but a simple bubble level can start you off. Make sure newsprint or a mirror underneath where the coin would be is completely in focus, all sides evenly, and that the base is level also.

Use the Canon remote shooting application that comes with the camera or you can download from Canon Support, using the USB cable, and you can focus completely hands off using the computer to adjust in and out focus (not zoom keep that at 55mm). You can also try bracketing photos to see if your exposure is on. I start with 1.3 stops of exposure and shoot in M (manual mode only), once I've got the correct exposure.

One last issue I run into mainly on older NGC fatty slabs, but can happen with all slabbed coins. Is they can be inserted at a slight angle making critical focus across the entire coin's surface, if this is an issue you will have to adjust either one; the base or the camera, to match the tilt in the slab.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2˘ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5419 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pic of your lens is pretty sharp. Whatever you did to get that pic might work out well for your larger coin pics, too.
Greece
39 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your lens has 0.25m close-focusing distance.

So you have to have at least this distance and then... crop your image, if you have to.

Valued Member
Ireland
82 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2taol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also remember that not all lenses take sharp images.
You got to read the tests of a particular lens and
determine its strengths for optimal aperture setting
and at what focal length.

Good point by nickos, the lens will only focus to a minimum distance.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05