Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 D Kennedy Half Dollar No FG Is It Worth Sending In

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  3:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Alaskadave34 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was coin roll hunting through a box of half dollars
And found a 1972 Kennedy half dollar with no FG
Coin is in pretty good shape and was wondering if it is worth sending in to PCGS
Creating an account and so forth

Attached is a picture of my Findings out of the $500 box of halves

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Edited by Alaskadave34
06/15/2019 3:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13982 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@AD34, first welcome to CCF. Second, in order for the cost to be worth it, this coin would need to be worth in excess of $100 or perhaps $150. I have a feeling that the condition, while certainly very nice for a coin nearly 50 years old, is not sufficient for you to get your money's worth from the certification process. For reference, I have rotated, enlarged, and enhanced your pic and see some small dings and wear and tear.

Added: in your new pic, it looks like you pulled some silver from the wild--well done!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Edited by Spence
06/15/2019 3:22 pm
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alaskadave34 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the quick response
That's a bummer I thought I hit the jackpot
But still worth holding onto

And thanks for fixing the photo & 😀
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42904 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The result of die over-polishing or perhaps a grease fill.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6738 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
815 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say it might be worth the grading with PCGS, if you have some other coins to send for grading with it. I know they give some free grading with the 2nd membership level. It costs more but I think the free grading value cancels out the cost of the membership for the most part, where the lowest membership tier you are just giving them money and paying the grading fees as well.

I think if you had like 4 coins to get graded, to do that aND put that one in with it, if you really wanted it graded and authenticated and for the other 3, coins of a higher value.

Something to look into, I'm not big on coin grading services to begin with myself and would he hard pressed to come up with 4 coins I'd consider doing it for, but I've thought about it, I just don't because I have no idea what I would send in for grading. Probably W mint mark quarters I guess. Lol!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome and definitely hold on to it...perhaps at some later date you'll be at a coin show and can submit it then, at a discount rate.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12811 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Second, in order for the cost to be worth it, this coin would need to be worth in excess of $100 or perhaps $150.

I disagree here and am responding in a general sense. $30 is generally the lowest coin cost that you can really make any money on and even then it isn't much, but you could easily make a good profit on $50 dollar moderns. Moderns are only $16 to grade at PCGS so its a lower fee than classics. The cost of getting the modern you want will play a role as well, but anything you got at face value roll hunting or change will absolutely be in the nice profit range for $40-50+ coins.

The real question from a money standpoint that should be asked is will the grading increase the value but the cost of grading or more. If I spend $4 on a modern and can have it graded for $16 (17-18 accounting for shipping and everything in a good sized submission) but I know that it will grade out to be a 50 dollar coin you've done well. Try selling that same coin for 50 raw and people will make fun of you and call you a scammer.

Point being instead of focusing on a floor value the focus should be over the overall impact for that particular situation

Quote:
I know they give some free grading with the 2nd membership level. It costs more but I think the free grading value cancels out the cost of the membership for the most part, where the lowest membership tier you are just giving them money and paying the grading fees as well.

For PCGS if someone is interested in joining the Platinum membership for $250 is by FAR the best one to pick. You get the 8 grading vouchers which if you use for the regular gold shield tier their value is $320. So not only does it cancel out the membership fee but it actually saves you money when you use them properly.

You also get a dri-fit Nike PCGS shirt with that that you can sell for $15-20 on eBay if you don't want it to get even more of a savings. I would honestly rejoin every submission if they would let me.
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13982 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
will absolutely be in the nice profit range for $40-50+ coins.

Ok thanks for the correction @bb21!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
4533 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All that said and done, this coin does not look like is quite missing the FG ! the area in question is over exposed with excessive light, I can still see a remnants of the G.Even though if the FG was missing, being a circulated coin in this condition will not fetch anything above $8-$10 range.
Can you post a close up image of the FG area without glare? that would be very helpful to conclude.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05