Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Learning To Use The Wife's Canon Eos Digital Rebel Xt

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2008  4:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My photography experience has been limited to "documenting" vacations or the occasional new house, using automatic film or lower end digital cameras.

Since the birth of our son, my wife has allowed me to start taking pictures with her Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT; way nicer than either Kodak I have!

Since I have become more comfortable with the camera, I decided to take a picture of a loose Eisenhower dollar. This is by no means representative of my Eisenhower Dansco, but I love all the Ikes and this one has managed to avoid being placed in a 2x2...

Rest in Peace
United States
1501 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2008  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add COINAHOLIC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like you have a good handle on the whole picture situation, including large size postings! Great job jbuck
Pillar of the Community
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2008  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice shot! I just noticed: what's up with the mintmark? Is it MD or a D/D?

Just when you thought it was safe...FranklinIke returns!

Edited by KurtS
09/01/2008 10:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1489 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2008  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shatsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice shot.
Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2008  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks to me like you have a good handle on the whole picture situation, including large size postings! Great job jbuck

Quote:
That's a nice shot.
Thanks!

Quote:
Just when you thought it was safe...FranklinIke returns!
Nooooooooo!

Quote:
Nice shot! I just noticed: what's up with the mintmark? Is it MD or a D/D?
Probably just a JPEG artifact. I will try to get a closer shot later, but for now, here is an original size closeup on the the mintmark...

Pillar of the Community
United States
3082 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2008  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jbuck, I love that camera. That's what I use also. However, I forked out a few hundred for a nice Tokina 100mm Macro lens. I'm curious as to how you're getting your coin pictures. I'm guessing that the pictures have a lot of background around the coin and that you crop to just get the coin. But, I'm intrigued by the fact that you were able to get the clear close-ups without the macro. Tell us how you did this!
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2008  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm guessing that the pictures have a lot of background around the coin and that you crop to just get the coin.
That is correct. The coin image is probably 20% of the total picture or less.

Quote:
But, I'm intrigued by the fact that you were able to get the clear close-ups without the macro. Tell us how you did this!
The coin is sitting on a napkin on a table next to a window that gets full sun. The blinds were adjusted to get a nice light diffusion, so the flash was not used. I used the 18-55 lens (I am told that I am not ready to use the fancy ones yet). I used the "sport/action" setting and held the camera about twelve inches directly above the coin. With the action setting, any shaking I had holding the camera was not an issue. Simple, huh?

I could get a lot closer with the macro setting, but nowhere near as clear after the snap (too much movement, of course). We do have a tripod, so my next experiment will be to try that with the timer or the remote.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1489 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2008  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shatsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which software you're using to crop the image?
Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2008  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use an older version of a shareware program called Lview Pro. I have been using it for years and it seems to do the trick. I have started to experiment with paint.net some, but I did not use it for this image.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2008  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you can probably tell, I'm a strong proponent of photoshop because of flexibility of control.
If there is one single thing that can be easily adjusted to improve coin photos, it is the dynamic range (brightness levels).
Depending on lighting, some cameras will blow out highlights or the internal software will be overly aggressive in controlling shadows/hightlights. In the case of your Ike photo, the camera limited the highlights and shadows, creating bit of a washed-out look. It's an easy thing in photoshop to adjust levels and control highlights, as I did for "FranklinIke".
Edited by KurtS
09/02/2008 12:12 pm
Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2008  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As you can probably tell, I'm a strong proponent of photoshop because of flexibility of control.
I have an older version of PS (I think version 5) that I used when I was in IT and had to "do it all" for the company I worked for. I would be afraid to try loading it on an XP or Vista machine; and I cannot justify the expense of getting the latest version!

That said, Adobe is hands down the best of the best. Both of my brothers-in-law are professional graphic artists and use Adobe CS3 on their Macs. They really amaze me with what they can do.

For my job, I use a great program called Adobe Audition (formerly Cool Edit). Then again, I am a sound guy, so it is more up my alley.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3082 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2008  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm impressed. I always knew my camera was a good one, but now you're making my macro lens look like a bad investment! Ironically enough the 17-85mm lens upgrade I have for the Canon, jbuck, would allow you to take shots at up to THREE stops (three slower speeds) lower than what you can with the standard 18-55 lens!

Good job.

Now, you just need a copy stand (medium+ duty for the camera weight) and lighting and you've got it made.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2008  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the compliments!

Quote:
Now, you just need a copy stand (medium+ duty for the camera weight) and lighting and you've got it made.
It is all apart of the master plan.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1173 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2008  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hunter20ga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FWIW, JBuck, if ever you want to go the photoshop route, Adobe's Photoshop Elements 6.0 is excellent, and can often be purchased for $79.99-99.99 depending on where you shop. I think PSE 7.0 will be released soon, making it likely that version 6.0 will go even cheaper.
Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05