Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are Any Of My Coins Good Enough

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  04:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nydia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I have some pennys that I believe are not errors that just look new some from the 60 70 and 80s. When do you know if the coins you have you should invest for grading?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
28939 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. A coin has to be worth at least $150 retail to justify all costs involved in having it slabbed.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15753 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  05:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1 has said it right.
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  06:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this will help without pictures we are guessing at what you have. to CCF.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40277 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, please show us a few examples.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joecontois to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the irrelevant post, but I have a 1993 Z ... Convertible
LWC (140/140) completed on 7/2/19. Buffalo nickels (64/64) completed on 6/13/19. Mercury dimes (76/77) to be completed 11/11/19. Walking Liberty halves (65/65) completed on 5/19/19. Peace dollars (12/24) to be completed 11/11/19. 5 set totals (357/370). SLQ set (21/37). 7070 U.S. Type Set (50/76) completion date unascertainable.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11411 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nydia , a lot of new members are asking if their nice and shiny Lincoln Memorial pennies that they find looking through bank rolls are good enough to send in for grading .
The fact is I would say 97 out of 100 are not .A common Lincoln Memorial would have to be at least MS-67 OR 68 to be worth sending in . Of cause we would still like to see photos of what you have.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1496 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to CCF........good luck
Edited by Greasy Fingers
06/25/2019 1:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1356 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most coins are not. However; ANACS does run some nice deals on occasion. I've been to shows where it is $10 a coin with free shipping. At that point you really don't have to have a coin worth $150.

Case in point. I had some classic commemoratives slabbed by them at a show a year ago. It cost me $10 a coin, more or less. As an example, I had two Long Island Commems. Both were about the same grade, the raw coin sold for $60 and the slabbed coin sold for $100. Which is a net of about $30. Was it under $150? Yes. Did I make a profit? yes. That entire shipment netted me about $500. Some people might not think it worth that. But; I'll take $500 every day
Pillar of the Community
United States
6074 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First ask yourself why you want to get them graded.

If you just like slabbed coins - great, then enjoy.

If you are believing you are going to make money at finding slabbing coins, you will need to kep on going down the road you have started...learning by asking here.

As is evidenced by the massive number of slabs that can be bought very inexpensively, slabbing company marketers have resulted people with little experience think slabbing is not only an essential part of the hobby, but that its easy to find/slab/sell coins for big bucks.

The result is many people take a chance, pay a lot of money, and end up a 1.00 value coin in an expensive, but nice looking, plastic case.

The more chance you have to make yourself accustomed to what the graders typically label a specific coin types condition to be, the more you will be able to tell if what you have is something they MIGHT label the same.

I say "might" because the reality is a coin graded, broken out, and resubmitted (even to the same company) is never guaranteed the same grade again.

Stick around here, ask questions, get in on the threads here like the "You vs. TPG" threads." Also look at slabbed coins or online pics until your brain has a general idea of what might be graded an MS xx vs. an MS nn. It takes awhile to learn to play their game. It won;t happen in a few weeks/months...unless you do nothing but study 24/7...and even then a grade is never guaranteed. Its a game based on subjectivity.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
447 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your topic and questions pose a few responses. As Earle42 stated, is the grading for personal enjoyment or profit? If it be the former then might I suggest buying them already graded? Over the years I have bought many well below what it would cost for the services, especially when it comes to modern coins (post 1964). If for the latter then I would suggest a little research to first guage the market on what an average price would be to sell. ANACS seems to be the cheapest, figure around sixty without the coin cost. However, PCGS or NGC tend to bring a bit more for similar graded coins. Not to knock ANACS, a top grading firm, just saying. Yet those two require membership to use them. With that in mind, and diligent research, key and semi-key dates could provide for a profit.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9194 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

U.S. cents from the 1960s, 70s & 80s are almost never worth grading. If there are no errors then the coins would need to be virtually perfect and full red to even think about having them graded.

You can look up what you have on ebay and see what people are asking and what some paid (completed listings). Post a couple pics if you can and perhaps we can be of more help.

Good luck!

ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10102 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might want to try and pick-up a US coin reference book ( Red Book) and go through and familiarize yourself with the different denominations, grading points and mintages. This will help you move on as a collector.

KK
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05