Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 Kennedy Half DDR Cherrypick - Need Help Attributing

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2131 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  8:55 pm Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A $4 cherrypick off eBay from a few weeks ago. Moderate Class II doubling throughout the reverse with nice separation on the stars and slight separation of the serifs of the outer lettering that are closest to the center.

I want to figure out what CONECA # this one is before putting it on my site. With VV being incomplete I need a bit of help on this one.

Sorry for the large amount of photos, but I think it would help with attributing. Some die marker pics as well.

Edit: Forgot to mention, there is also some strong Machine Doubling on this coin, try not to get confused.

Edited by Tanman2001
06/25/2019 10:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2058 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I searched VV and Wexler's site, and found nothing matching this one (Then again, variety vista's pictures aren't loading correctly so I could have missed one). It's a doubled die, but it's minor so it would be tough to match. Nice cherrypick, and best of luck matching!

-CH27
CoinHunter27
Collector of US errors and variety coins of all kinds

"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent"
-Carl Sandburg
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3071 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alright Tanman, a few questions. How many stars are doubled? Are there any stars doubled below the clouds? Is the doubling strongest on the stars at the top of the coin? I'm going through Conneca's master list but I can't see everything you're seeing. We'll get it nailed down my friend.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this is a doubled die, I still can't tell the difference between MD...face palm
Helen Keller could find a DDO easier than me
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3071 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Half dollar and and parts of USOA are MD, but you can still see the extra thickness in the bottoms some of the letters and the stars are also split. There can be both MD and actual doubling at the same time. Weird, but it happens. This is a true Doubled Die Reverse, just pinpointing which one is the goal now.
Edited by Jim0815
06/25/2019 10:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3071 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tanman, without any more info I am leaning towards the DDR-002.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2131 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If this is a doubled die, I still can't tell the difference between MD

There is both a doubled die and Machine Doubling on the reverse. Forgot to mention in the first post, my bad. Doubling on the letters is tough to spot, the doubling is much more visible on the stars.

Quote:
How many stars are doubled?

All outer stars.

Quote:
Are there any stars doubled below the clouds?

I didn't notice it at first, but yes. Very, very, very slightly doubled. Pic:

Quote:
Is the doubling strongest on the stars at the top of the coin?

Pretty even all around, but slightly stronger at the bottom.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3071 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tanner, knowing that they are stronger above HALF DOLLAR instead of below USOA with the doubling also below the clouds makes me think you may have a new one. Conneca's master list has no match for what you have.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2131 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim. It's possible that the master listing may not mention some of the minor doubling I've shown, but you're right in that the isn't really a perfect match described there.

I might wait until the Kennedy half dollars are completed on VV, or if that takes too long I'll send it to Wiles.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3071 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever attribution number given to it it's a great coin to have. Great cherry pick my friend!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37974 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  03:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great images. I see a lot of Machine Doubling on the lower half of the coin and mild MD on the upper parts. I do see some minor DDR on some of the stars. But this is not a match to WDDO-002. Seeing them side by side, the OF area is not showing any of the hub doubling that WDDR should have.

So yes you can have Machine Doubling and a doubled die. Each are different processes. ME is an issue with die movement after the strike. Hub doubling is on the die. (Thus the term doubled die) Just as MD can happen on normal dies, it can also happen on doubled dies because it is a sloppy machine issue. Just I wish that John would have incuded why the "1965 50 WWHR-001 Doubled Working Hub" information was not on this page. Because I'm wondering if the Start issue was a doubled working hub issue?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atrox001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I compared your photos, very good photos especially showing die gouges and die scratches, with the four CONECA listed 50c BS 65 DDR's, and the ones in my collection. I didn't see any match, but your half does come close to matching the description of the DDR-002. I didn't see anything in your photos that match anything with the 65 DDR-002 in my collection. I have confirmed my DDR-002 with the die scratches in the photos you can see in James Wiles 1998 Kennedy half dollar Book (attached below). Like everyone else I am still waiting for him to add more to his E-Book on VV to confirm several things. Over the years I have seen many minor BS 65 DDR's, that maybe the case with yours.
Larry Nienaber

Pillar of the Community
United States
2131 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks atrox001, I don't see those die scratches on my coin. Mine looks to be a LDS-VLDS, tons of die flow and heavy gouges on the reverse. Could be the unconfirmed LDS of DDR-002, but I can't find any evidence to prove that. Guess I'll be waiting for the completed E-book as well.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05